Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 outback with the 2.5 n/a I just replaced the spark plugs and valve cover gaskets car runs great but when coming to a stop idle drops and acts like it wants to stall but does not any advice on what it could be its not throwing any codes and all sensors vaccum lines where but back in place and plugged in

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
could be the tps or iac valve or map sensor.....How many miles on the car ?

Has fuel filter ever been replaced ?

What kind of fuel ? Octane ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car has 106k on it never replaced the fuel filter its my father's car it just started doing this after I replaced the plugs and valve cover gaskets

·
Registered
00 Outback Wagon...269K 09 Legacy 2.5 Sedan...93k
202 Posts
I assume you removed the battery?
If so, sometimes cars need to "relearn" operating parameters, F/A mix @ idle is one of them.

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes then reconnect and do the following:
Start it nomally, allow it to run until the idle settles(2 min is enough)
Put your foot on the brake place in either R or D and turn on EVERYTHING which will put a load on the engine(A/C, Rear window defroster, Radio, Bright lights etc...) at a rate of one every 10 seconds or so.
Let the idle establish and settle...AGAIN...then turn everything off, place the car back in P and let it idle for a minute.
The first time you drive it, run try and vary the throttle a little more than usual. You don't have to go W/O, but a couple of "jackrabbit" starts in the first mile is good.

Oh...did you "gap" the plugs prior to installation and ensure a good "click" on the boots?
If new wires...did you ohm out the new ones? I replaced a set in my daughters only to find one wire waaaaaay out of spec from the box, which gave me similar issues.

Good luck!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,625 Posts
yeah, could be the wires got stressed witht he work done.

NGK plugs and most folks recommend dealer-sourced wires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes plugs where gapped and I will try the battery reset when he gets home and keep you guys updated
on another note I am a Honda owner for life and on just about every Honda forum I must say you guys are one of the most helpfull and respectful and not complete jack @$$es thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a day of driving I'm pretty sure it was just the ecu relearning everything runs great now thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts