Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
01 OB XT, 09 Legacy SE, 05 FXT
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posting my experience regarding the cable driven throttle in my 01 Outback (5MT). Ever since I got the car it's been a pain in 1st gear because like the title says, there was 0 play between idle and 1500. No matter how little you pressed the pedal it would jump to 1500rpm.

I read somewhere on a Subie forum to unplug the TPS sensor and try driving the car. I did this and it drove similar to my newer legacy which is drive by wire.

After that, I went over to AutoZone and got a new TPS for $45 and installed it. It's like night and day, I can rev the engine in neutral anywhere between idle and 1500rpm now. The whole driving experience is so much nicer. The car seems a lot more responsive when getting on it. Before it was laggy and I had a lot of bucking issues related to throttle use. I already upgraded the transmission mount which helped, but the engagement/disengagement of the throttle still caused a lot of bucking.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow of the sensor on the car for anyone that might be having the same issues I was experiencing.

The car has 122k miles on it, I'm not sure if the TPS was ever replaced (I'm guessing it wasn't), bought the car at 95k.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, interested in seeing your pics. Thanks!
Here they are! Should've gotten these up sooner.

Here's the original.

Here's in the engine bay. The bottom screw is rather a pain to get at. Once the two screws are out, the TPS should rotate a little and then pull right out. Install is reverse, put new TPS on the tongue of the throttle plate, then rotate it slightly (I believe it was clockwise) and get the screws back in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you have rough idle while sitting at a light in gear, thats what my problem with my 2005 outback xt
I was not having that issue, the TPS is more to do with the mechanical throttle cable and control of the throttle. You'd have to look elsewhere for rough idle issues.

·
Registered
03 Baja Yellow 5MT 235k miles & 09 Outback 2.5i Quartz Silver 5MT 105k miles
88 Posts
May also help to clean the Idle Air Controller (IAC)

·
Registered
1989 Subaru XT6, 1989 Subaru RX, 2004 Outback 3.0 SUS
73 Posts
Is your car a 2.5 (4 cylinder) or 3.0 (6 cylinder) ?
Thanks, I have a 3.0 H6 with similar issues.
I had a similar issue on my H6. Cruising on the freeway at 70mph, engine rpm would be a consistent 2250rpm and on slight inclines or small throttle movements, it would feel a bit sluggish and unresponsive.

Replaced my TPS even though I had no CEL and it fixed the issue.

OP, have you calibrated the TPS since you put it in? On the 2.5s, the TPS is adjustable and at idle, it should be giving a .48-.52 volt reference and close to 5 volts at wide open throttle. The 3.0s aren't adjustable so it is literally a bolt in affair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts