Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new to the Outback communityand just purchased a used 2012 Outback with a 6-Speed Manual to replace my old1987 4Runner. I've had the rig for a little over 3 months, gone 5,000 miles,and love it!!! My only issue so far isthat the RPMs seem to drop drastically when breaking and/or coming to a stop. So much to the point that the engine shutterslike it’s going to shut off, but for the computer(?) tells the throttle to revback up. The issue is exasperated, andeven occurs during idling, when the AC is on/and or the alternator/engine isunder load by another motor (i.e. rolling the windows up, headlights turningon, etc.). I’ve taken it to a specialtySubaru mechanic and they recommended replacing the air filter, and cleaning thethrottle body, which I did. Unfortunately it did not help. Myold 4Runner had similar issues, and I ended up replacing the TPS, MFA, AirIntake Duct, and some vacuum lines to finally get it to stop. I spoke with a friend of mine, who has a 2014Outback with an Automatic, and he said his does the same thing, and it’ssomething to do with the balance of the Flat Engine design, and not to worry aboutit. Has anyone had similar issues, andfound a relatively straightforward culprit? [/FONT][/COLOR]

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,338 Posts
nah - not related to engine design. There may be a way for the ecu to re-learn throttle zero position. It's drive by wire and the 'gas' pedal is telling the ecu what 'zero throttle' is by some resistive input.

would it do this in a fast stop in reverse?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i 6MT
86 Posts
My '12 6MT does this every now and again as well. It happens infrequently enough that I haven't done anything about it, but when I brought it up to the dealer they said it was normal. Which of course is what they would say...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Texan, I tried to replicate it going in reverse, and it doesit, but not as bad. I was only able toget up to 1700 rpms in reverse though, due to testing on a short side street,as opposed to 2000-3000 rpms during normal driving forward. Makes sense as to what you’re saying aboutthe ECU vs. TP. Is there a way to testthat theory?

Cook, Thanks for theinput. Have you noticed if yours does itwith or without the AC on? I drive mineto work today with the AC off and the windows down because it was nice out, andit didn’t do it. Only seems to do itwith AC on, or engine/alternator under load…

1 - 4 of 4 Posts