Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Formerly - '02 Outback Limited Sedan
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh I HATE those stock Potenza's in the snow....they STINK! I drove the Subaru the past couple days while the wife did some "thinking" work from home. We had a couple of inches of snow, nothing major, but those tires make it like driving on a skating rink.

I want to replace them with a set of Goodrich Traction T/A's, but we both like the white lettered style, and the T/A's only come in blackwall. Does anyone know of another tire, with white lettered sidewalls, with good all season (ie good in snow) capabilities?

I've thought about painting the letters onthe T/A's, but with what? Anyone ever do this?

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
Long term Subaru Owner - Current Daily Drive: 2007 Lexus RX350, and E46 BMW 328i
1,142 Posts
I like the white letters too but in the end chose new tyres that only have blackwall - Frankly, you need to decide what is more important to you, Staying on the road? or looking good?

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,428 Posts
ottiehund said:
I like the white letters too but in the end chose new tyres that only have blackwall - Frankly, you need to decide what is more important to you, Staying on the road? or looking good?
Exactly my thoughts, go for Nokians! :D

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,573 Posts
you might be able to have both. Waynerd, they do make tire paint for just this purpose, try JCWhitney or local otto partz. i have no idea how it works or how long it lasts before it starts to fade. suspect it works fine but you have to reapply periodically.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
2,730 Posts
White lettering on a Subaru? Arghh!

Personally I despise white lettering. I think they look fine on 1960's muscle cars or big monster trucks with giant tires. I don't think they belong on a modern sophisticated car like the Outback anymore than fake wood side-panelling.

To each his own I guess. But I would definitely go for safety instead of worrying about the lettering...

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,573 Posts
i agree, have always turned it inwards when stuck with it, local tire store can't understand why i'd want to do that.

altho i've often thot a Forester would make a cool woody.....get ready, i'm betting that's another item that's coming back in on the crest fo the retro wave, at least on the Amurrrikin wagons

·
Registered
Formerly - '02 Outback Limited Sedan
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We like them on the Outback 'cause it gives it a little "rugged" look. I agree on the '05's it may not look right.

I swapped the Goodyears off my Pilot at 300 miles for white lettered Michelins, to make it look more like an SUV vs. a tall station wagon. They're much better tires, anyway.

I'll look around Auto Zone for the paint this weekend...gotta get winter blades for the Pilot anyway.

i've often thot a Forester would make a cool woody
My aunt had a "woody" PT Cruiser for a couple of months...'till she totaled in avoiding somebody pulling out in front of her. She said she had a moment of temporary insanity buying that thing....no power, terrible gas mileage, and high insurance. The only PT cruiser that didn't look like a hearse!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts