Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm looking to purchase these lowering springs, which I have linked below, and was wondering if I would need any other parts when installing them. I'm not going to be installing it, I'm having my mechanic do it. Do I need any other parts? Please let me know. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,294 Posts
Ideally you would have them installed on Bilstein B8 struts.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,294 Posts
What would I lose out on/what would go wrong if I installed them on stock shocks?
Assuming the lowering springs have a higher spring rate to prevent bottoming and to improve handling, the stock shocks even at best, would then be underdamping the springs. In reality shocks do wear out and depending on how many miles (and how rough those miles were) the shocks might not be strong enough to control the rebound - I had a blown shock on my WRX after only 50k miles and I didn't drive on gravel roads or anything demanding.

When you run a spring that's stiffer than a shock is designed to handle, then it wears the shock out fast, so even if your stock shocks worked with the new springs, the new springs would wear them out.

If what you're after is improved handling, the shocks will make a huge huge improvement. The labor to change springs and shocks together is about the same as just changing springs so it just makes sense to do both at the same time.

Reactions: RedStage
1 - 4 of 4 Posts