Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know whether this is really a potential problem or not, but I got a new 2019 Outback less than three weeks ago. I happened to notice a little over a week ago that the rubber gasket around the moonroof on the driver's side is a little raised up, whereas the gasket on the passenger side is essentially flush with the moonroof.

I bought the car from a dealer about 45 minutes away, but the dealer nearby is going to replace the rubber surround. Thus far, I have run the car through a car wash, and it has survived a hard rainstorm with no leaking issues.

I'm wondering, though, if down the line, I may be dealing with issues since it didn't come from the factory perfect.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
670 Posts
AnalogJ,

Yes, ..... relax!

You're getting worked up over something that may well never give you a problem.

The closer to you dealership has corrected the issue under warranty, everything appears as it should ... so get on with driving the car and enjoy it. Sunroof water leak issues most commonly occur when the sun roof drain tubes get plugged with debris, or the plastic drain tubes themselves come unattached or split from old age, and even then these kind of issues usually occur some 10 to 15 years down the road.

Personally I've owned 5 OBW's, one of each generation, all with sunroofs and not one has leaked water into the car from the sunroof seal that the drains didn't take care off. The only sun roof issue I've had was on my dual sun roofed 2002, when a passenger opened the front tilt sun roof in winter, and stripped the lift mechanism because the sunroof was frozen in place.(Hint: don't open the sunroof if there are freezing temperatures!)

Enjoy your new Subie!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The dealer near me hasn't taken care of the problem yet. I'm waiting for them to get the part in.

I was just worried that if they had to futz around with, the moonroof may not have good integrity to begin with.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
670 Posts
AnalogJ,

It'll end up just fine because to put the seal on they have to remove the four bolts that mount the sunroof, and remove it from the car. This will allow them proper access to all sides of the sun roof and the seal for a perfect mount. The whole job shouldn't take more than an hour.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
gbhrps
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing