Subaru Outback Forums banner

Rubberised undercoat in wheel wells

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  367402 
#1 ·
I got a Gen5 OB that I'm planning to increase the soundproofing (layering MLV/CCF under carpets), but I am wondering if anyone has used the Duplicolor Rubberised Undercoat spray in the wheel wells ... or an equivalent?

The wells, in the Gen5 OB, are a thin plastic that sound hollow and would be an acoustic conductor, so I would have thought adding a deadening layer should help quite a bit.

#5 ·
I've been trawling through some youtube videos and see people applying it prior to winter conditions (salt/grit etc). They just give it a good APC/scrub down before applying it, or touching up.
Considering it's just a smooth plastic, and not a textured coating, as long as there's no residual grime over the base plastic it shouldn't have any issue with the undercoat having a good surface to adhere to.

My car is still pristine (low mileage and the wheel wells are regularly waterblasted), so I have less concern with the application and more to see if it makes any difference acoustically, or otherwise.

#6 ·
I think the design has changed, but I have to go through the wheel wells you're talking about to access some side marker/position/low beam bulbs. If you spray this and coat it, you could be sealing it off, right? Just something to consider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.