Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am hoping someone here can help me diagnose our car problem or point me in the right direction if possible. Can you reccomend a shop around Asheville, NC?

We've taken it to our local mechanic shop, and they said they thought the rumbling was the coupling that transfers the power to the rear wheels for the AWD system. They advised that I put the FWD fuse in to see if the rumbling stopped. I did so and it's maybe a little less, not sure, but the rumbling is definitely still there.

When you are starting from a stop or very slow, turning or straight, it will sometimes feel like there is almost a loose (or square) tire, it seems to be coming from the rear of the car, but I could be mistaken. It started out subtle and it becoming much more noticeable. If you drive like you have raw eggs rolling around, you can make it less noticeable.

The car was put on a rack and everything was checked, CV axles, wheels, etc. They did say the exhaust system was a little loose, but shouldn't effect anything other than making it shake a little when idling.

It idles pretty smoothly, the same through all shifts, 3-1 has a little click that the others do not. There is a slight metallic squeal when going forward in gear, reverse and neutral rolling forward do not squeal. When turning I hear a rubber kind of squeak from the wheel area.

Sorry this has gotten so long, any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Elizabeth

*History*

Previously, upon advice of a local "expert" tire guy, we replaced two tires and had them on there for quite a while, two were quite worn. Then we found out we should always have the same four tires for our AWD and had the work below done.

96,000 miles - Replaced one front CV axle (broken boot), alignment, new Blizzak (215 60 16) winter tires (all four), replaced broken tie rod

96,300 miles - Replaced spark plugs, new O2 sensor, new front brake calipers

98,000 miles - Winter tires removed and replaced with four new Michelin Defender summer tires (220 60 16)

After this last work we noticed a slight pulling to the right, then the rumbling started. I don't know if it is related, nothing has been hit, we did take it though one of those grab you car and drag it though car washes, (I only thought about it as it ejected us)

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,110 Posts
I'm only a shade tree mechanic, but I'd check out your wheel bearings. While the wheel is off the ground (car jacked on jack stands, etc.) rotate it by hand and listen for the noise, also grab the tire at the 12:00 and 6:00 position and wiggle it to see if there is a lot of play. Lastly, after driving for a while, carefully feel the wheel hub for excessive heat. All of these, along with the descriptions of some the sounds you are hearing, might indicate a bad bearing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, thanks! Could the new tires have "irritated" this? Is it okay to drive? We're about an hour away from the mechanic.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Hello,

We've taken it to our local mechanic shop, and they said they thought the rumbling was the coupling that transfers the power to the rear wheels for the AWD system. They advised that I put the FWD fuse in to see if the rumbling stopped. I did so and it's maybe a little less, not sure, but the rumbling is definitely still there.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the FWD fuse does anything to disable rear wheel power transfer on VDC cars. Could be why you didn't see a change.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
jp103,

Is there any other way to test it, if the fuse won't disengage the rear wheels?

Thanks.
Hmmm...well, you are absolutely correct that using the FWD fuse is a great way to rule out where a problem is coming from. It looks like for a 2001 VDC it just disables VDC but doesn't do anything to change the torque split. The VDC cars actually have more slightly power going to the rear than the front under normal conditions, too.

I have a feeling that it is something related to the power to the rear wheels, but I'm not aware of a way to force a VDC car into front wheel drive to find out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to go pick my Mom up in the car just now.

I noticed a light on the dash: VDC Off. (went off as normal when car starts), but is there a way to safely turn the VDC off to test?

Also, we have a very long uphill driveway. I noticed it shuddering a little on the way down, but up it seemed normal.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts