Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium, and unfortunately I had a flat tire (Frong-Right) today. When I noticed it, I probably had driven on the flat tire for 200 - 300 feet. The tire has a small nail in the center (tread) of the tire.... The tires are Continental brand and have roughtly 20k miles (from Jan 2015) on them.

I put on my back-up tire and brought the flat tire to a local tire shop (Firestone tires). Without checking it closely, the guy told me straight that I need to replace all 4 tires for an AWD vehicle like mine. I don't believe him, so I walked away.

I would like to seek opinions/suggestions as to whether I can have the flat tire patched or I will have to replace 2 or 4 tires?
I appreciate your replies

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
I put on my back-up tire and brought the flat tire to a local tire shop (Firestone tires). Without checking it closely, the guy told me straight that I need to replace all 4 tires for an AWD vehicle like mine. I don't believe him, so I walked away.
He's right, you're wrong. Read your manual.

If more than 2/32 difference between new tire and what you have, you must replace all 4.

All that said, I'd expect it to be able to be patched.

Reactions: miker104

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,659 Posts
Get your new tire and either have them shave it if they do so, or go somewhere that does. TIRE SHAVING

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
A small nail in the center of tread can be plugged without issue.

Was an explanation offered as to why the tire could not be repaired?

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,305 Posts
A small nail in the center of tread can be plugged without issue.

Was an explanation offered as to why the tire could not be repaired?
I was wondering this myself. Unless that nail hit just perfectly and seriously damaged one of the cords but that seems unlikely. I don't know anything about run-flat tires so I then thought maybe they are less repairable for some reason. But what would be the point of a run-flat if even small punctures couldn't be fixed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts