Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The drivers side seat seat warmer in my 05 OB seems to have lost its ability to shut off when set to the minimum heat position. it just keeps getting hot to the point of feeling like a hazard. Any ideas where I should start looking for the problem?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
As far as I know (at least on 13 OB) the heat is on until you manually switch it off. I may be wrong or the 05 OBs have a different set up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I know (at least on 13 OB) the heat is on until you manually switch it off. I may be wrong or the 05 OBs have a different set up.
The 05's have more positions in the heat warmer switch than the newer "Low-High" switch. Mine seems to go up to bun-burning temperature when set to the lowest position... which it has never done before.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,470 Posts
It's very likely the heater element itself. They do wear out, mostly from flexing around inside the seat cushion. It's a relatively dumb system, the only protection built in is the fuse. When the heater element gets particularly bad, it will draw too much electricity and blow the fuse. Yours sounds like it is well on the way to this.

The bad news is that you'll need to take the seat apart to replace the element. It might wind up being easier to hit a junkyard for a used seat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts