Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4EAT
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching the forum for awhile now looking for a thread on how to run my fog lights with the parking lights on or basically without my low beams on. I found a thread on how to do it on a 2nd gen Outback but would it be the same on the 3rd gen wagon? Has anyone done it and how hard would it be? Electrical work isn't exactly my area of expertise

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
It isn't really difficult, but if you are a noobie, you definitely need your neighbor car guy to help figure it out.

I enabled full time operation of the fog lights on my '07 by running a new fused wire from the passenger fuse box to the Fog Relay Blue/White wire. (The clipped off part of the Blue/White wire gets capped at the harness to protect it from shorting out). The fog lights can be operated whenever the ignition is on, and they go out when High Beams are selected. I use them as DRLs since I installed HID low beams.

I used an Add-a Circuit: .... Littelfuse FHA200BP ATO Add-A-Circuit Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive .... which I plugged into a fuse slot in the fuse box located above and to the left of the driver's left knee. I checked with a voltmeter to find one that was switched on and off by the ignition key, NOT one that is always hot.

That wire tap gets extended about half a foot to join the wire harness for the Fog Relay, which is near the steering column, unless Subaru changed it's location for your '08. You need to check a service manual for your car for it's location, and to verify that you are interrupting the original power wire to the relay with you new wire, in case the color code has changed.

It's a much easier mod than say installing HIDs.... which should be next on your To Do List.

If you don't have a 2008 shop manual ..... Index of /ilh/vacation.

If you have any more questions I will try to answer them.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm...Yeah that's pretty involved at least for what I have to do today...When I first bought my car almost 4 years ago now, I put in 6000k HIDS but they were too blue so I replaced them with 4300k HIDS which are much better and then I replaced my foglights with PIAA 55watt Ion yellow lights which are pretty awesome...I am a pretty hands on guy with cars...I've rebuilt motors, and done engine and transmission swaps, but when it comes to understanding electronics I just draw a blank ha

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
402 Posts
Illegal, at least in California. I would definitely check your state laws on this one.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dads chevy can do this...as well as many other american/german cars...you can drive around with your parking lights and foglights on

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Illegal, at least in California. I would definitely check your state laws on this one.
Illegal most places. That never stopped me and I have yet to be questioned or hassled in Washington State.

It is a small risk, unless you have vehicle inspections where they check the lights.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
when it comes to understanding electronics I just draw a blank ha
I know the feeling.

But this isn't really a difficult job and it involves minimal time and lying on your back swearing. If you have a buddy who is comfortable doing this, he could be finished in 30 minutes.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah one of my friends is good with this kind of stuff

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
In WA it's not illegal to do the fog swap (simply because there is no law about DLR's in general) but HID's for our vehicles...well sorta:

"Are high intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits legal?
No, in order for a headlight to be legal for use in Washington State, it must conform to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) 108 requirements for headlights. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has concluded that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with FMVSS 108."

So if your kit could pass the FMVSS 108 requirement, then you would be legal (and I suspect that would hold true for most states too). I believe this is why police in WA ignore people who violate this law. If it's not in peoples eyes in WA, they leave you alone. I'm totally ok with that.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
228 Posts
Illegal most places. That never stopped me and I have yet to be questioned or hassled in Washington State.

It is a small risk, unless you have vehicle inspections where they check the lights.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
I've been pulled over for this one before in my Jeep. Heavy fog, and the low-beams were reflecting the fog right back at me, so visibility was actually much better with just the fog lights and no low beams. (It had the ability to turn just the fog lights on)

Problem is, when you turn off the low beams, it also turns off your rear reds and marker lights - making you harder to see! (I don't know how that didn't occur to me at the time...) The officer was nice about it and let me go, because clearly I wasn't doing it on purpose.

If you mod the vehicle to turn OFF the low beams when they are supposed to be on, that's probably illegal. Turning fog lights on when otherwise there would be no other light is probably fine and nobody would ever notice it. They'd be like daytime running lights! So long as you aren't driving at NIGHT or in inclement with just the fog lights on (when you are legally required to have your headlights on).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts