Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
05 OBXT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to dis-able the running lights on my 05 OBXT. Has anyone experimented with the aftermarket up-pipes and down- pipes on the turbo? This is one GREAT vehicle!

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory, Falken WIldpeak A/T Trail, OEM Skid Plates etc
280 Posts
kgoessling said:
Is there a way to dis-able the running lights on my 05 OBXT. <snip> This is one GREAT vehicle!
I also would like to know HOW to disable the DRL's....

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
I'm not sure about the Outback but I have a Toyota with DRLs and I know that when the parking brake is engaged, the DRLs are off so if you can mess with the sensor for the parking brake to fool the car into thinking the PB is engaged, that's a simple way to disable the DRLs. Of course, you'd get that little light on the dashboard too that your PB is on.. But you could tape that or disconnect that wire...

Jay

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
2,409 Posts
I think I'll keep my running lights engaged, and while I'm interested in new pipes, I've not done anything about them. However, I heartily agree that this is one GREAT ride.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,573 Posts
pulling up the tiniest bit on the p-brake handle is great way to killl DRLs momentarily, if you want to back out without shining lights into people's windows and such

·
Registered
2020 Outback LDF MSRP $37,383
96 Posts
Interesting Interesting. I bougt an aftermarket device to turn ON DRL's on my truck and would have paid an option fee if Suby didn't include it. Guess that's why there are Democrats and Republicans OR White, Green, Red, Blue, et all. Subys

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory, Falken WIldpeak A/T Trail, OEM Skid Plates etc
280 Posts
tlippy said:
Interesting Interesting. I bougt an aftermarket device to turn ON DRL's on my truck and would have paid an option fee if Suby didn't include it. Guess that's why there are Democrats and Republicans OR White, Green, Red, Blue, et all. Subys
Agreed.. I personally am not a fan of them and I am an adult (thou some may question that) so I can turn on my lights when i need to.

Personally I do not like the look of the DRL's (except for a couple vehicles) and the idea of my headlights being on all the time and risk a burned out light when i actually need it... does not appeal to me.

I disabled them on my old VW Jetta... but to each their own :D

·
Registered
2020 Outback LDF MSRP $37,383
96 Posts
CWES........if you are close to Salem, OR, you can save the $275 advertizing fee by buying a car in Oregon rather than WA.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Depending on where you live and roads your driving, they are a real safety enhancement. I commute on the freeways of "the OC" (just south of LA) and any additional method of improving visibility to other drivers is a plus. With all of the cell phones and other distractions on the road, I see it as a huge plus to run DRL's. As for them burning out, you'll prolly have another suby by then.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,409 Posts
MaybeoutbackXT. Hope to see your name change soon--how about definitelyoutbackXT or wowdoilovemyoutbackXTorwhat?

You won't regret it!:)

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
I considered disabling the DRLs on my other car (A Toyota MR2 Spyder) but the little guy is so tiny, I always worry about those gargantuan vehicles seeing me so I left them on. It needs all the visibility it can get...

Jay

·
Registered
13 Posts
mudge

nice catch of my name.....i am wrestling between the WRX wagon and the OB XT. I'm aslo having a difficult time with locating a 05 OB XT limited, black on black manual. The dealer suggests I special order one. I hope to pull the trigger in the next few weeks. I loved both cars when I test drove them - both were powerful, with the OB being more refined (loved the interior), and roomier.

Trying to figure out which vehichle to replace with the subie, my truck or my wife's suv.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,573 Posts
Maybe--

given the vehicle you'd be replacing, you may be happier with OBXT. i love my OBS, but it's really snug fitting compared to a Legacy based car, even in terms of perceived shoulder room. and you can't get much at all in the back with rear seat up before it keeps tailgate from closing.

bw

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, that was my wife's input - not enough space with the wrx wagon. she drives an exploder and I drive a f 150 supercrew, which has quite a bit of space. It's just a behemoth to drive (esp after i lifted it 6" and put 35" tires on it). I was like a kid in a candy store during my subie test drives - zippin' and bippin' around, taking turns with speed, etc.
I'd like to give my truck to my wife, so that we wouldn't have to part with it, (plus all of the mods; exhaust, intake, stereo), but watching her and the 5 year old destroy it by eating, drinking and climbing around in it like a jungle gym makes me grimace. Plus I could sell it for more, which could go towards a significant portion of the OB.
It's just a matter of time, I already bought the bike racks and the aftermartket crossbars.
Maybe we could afford all 3 cars for the short term and then one of the fords would eventually get weened out of the picture.
Hmmmmmm?

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,409 Posts
Well, my OBXT (MT) is amazing. I did not test the WRX, however, so I can not pass judgement on it. We traded in the Volvo 850 wagon, and the Outback is a perfect replacement (even more refined than the Volvo).

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
2,718 Posts
Well guys, DRL are there for safety!

Back in the 80s, Greyhound ran a trial and found that buses running with headlights on during the day had close to 20% less accidents than those running without the headlights on. and we're talking buses huge here!

Following those findings, the Canadian government made DRL mandatory on all cars.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,409 Posts
Put it this way, I'm not disengaging mine.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I know why people love them, but does anyone know how to remove them from the new gen OB's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Baja Turbo
106 Posts
It might be the same as the 04 Outbacks with the black box on the right side of the steering column with 2 connectors,1 black the other white.The connectors plug in the back side of the box towards the firewall.If i remember correctly think you unplug the top connector which is the white one,i've done this on my Baja with no problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts