Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
Banned
2017 Outback
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, this thread is about actual data, not an opinion of how far you can drive the 2.5 after the warning light comes on before you will be walking. According to my 2017 Owners manual there are about 2.6 gallons (US) left after the warning light comes on. We all know the DIC is not accurate, so based on actually running the tank dry, how far can you go? Nobody cares about opinion, serious consequences could arise from running out of gas, only the data based upon actual experience matters. Let readers make up their own mind based on the data.
And if your vehicle isn’t a Gen 5 2.5 Outback, it is not relevant here, so go start your own thread.
Model year=2017 2.5i
Temperature= 46F decreasing to 37F (near sunset)
Route= Rochester, MN to St. Paul, MN 4 lane divided hiway, rolling hills
Cruise Control set to 69mph (speed limit is 65)
DIC said I was averaging 28.1 mpg, and that I had 80 milesof gas left
Odometer when light came on=459
Odometer when vehicle was out of gas=514
As I was just leaving Rochester the warning light came on, since I had an empty gas can, rather than put gas in the car Iput 1 gallon of gas in the gas can. According to my calculation, 28mpg times2.6 gallons should allow me to travel 70 miles, boy did that turn out wrong! Eventually the DIC said I had travelled 40 miles and had 40 miles of gas left. Then theDIC indicated “- - -“ and 5 miles later the engine died.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
so, 45 miles? interesting

I've read of people doing this test, never tried it myself.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
so, 45 miles? interesting

I've read of people doing this test, never tried it myself.
Comes out to 55 for me, haven't tried it on the subaru feel it's likely it would HAVE to be towed to a dealer for a secret reset to get it restarted.

·
Banned
2017 Outback
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
from another thread
... The estimated range will not go below 30 miles and down to 0. After that it will just display "----" SO be aware of that. Once it shows "----" you really can go just 5 miles. (65 mph on level freeway)oh, mine is a 3.6 if that matters.
thatcorresponds to what I experienced, 2.5 or 3.6, maybe it doesn't matter

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts

how have I lived as a driver from 1990 to now, without a miles to empty gauge in any vehicle?.
....and NEVER ran one out of gas,....and live 25 miles from the nearest gas station one would want to buy from.

Rarely do I put 5 gallon stablized mower gas in vehicles. (more to just use it up).

and to give it to passers by. for 28 years.

(like families with kids, and the mom is almost hitting the dad in the head with her purse for not buying gas half a hour ago).

edit: one of the things that I have always done: fill the tank.

...and I have driven a justy with a 7.3 gallon tank....and a VW with a 11 gallon tank.
(back in those days I would bring a 5 gallon can with me, so I would not have to drive to town, once a week just to buy gas...and that VW rabbit only got 25mpg. so it was like wasting 2 gallons round trip just to keep gas in it).

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
Not being facetious, but what is the purpose of this 'test'? Do you really drive 514 miles non-stop?

Maybe I'm the exception, but 2 hours or so at a time is about all I want to do without getting out to stretch, go to the restroom, etc. I've always treated 1/4 tank in all my cars as 'empty' and have never ran out of fuel or had to frantically search for gas stations.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Not being facetious, but what is the purpose of this 'test'? Do you really drive 514 miles non-stop?

Maybe I'm the exception, but 2 hours or so at a time is about all I want to do without getting out to stretch, go to the restroom, etc. I've always treated 1/4 tank in all my cars as 'empty' and have never ran out of fuel or had to frantically search for gas stations.
I don't think you are the exception. My tank is rarely below a half, even on road trips. I have no idea if the low fuel light even works, nor do I care to find out.

·
Banned
2017 Outback
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

yes
my last vacation I drove 1050 miles with only one stop for gas in between, it included driving overnight

I have a suggestion for you:
use your Outback as it was intended

you people who never let your tank get below 1/4 full must not stray far from civilization
it's a big country, it's an even bigger continent
there are places if you don't calculate how far you can go beforehand, you ain't gonna make it
you need to know the capability of the vehicle otherwise you cannot do a proper calculation
you'll be hauling gas you don't need (and could possibly be stolen when you do need it) or have a long wait for a good Samaritan to come along

BTW, when I filled it with gas it took 18.1 gallons, no I didn't squeeze ever drop I could in

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
I found it helpful. My wife is notorious for running low (but has never run empty) so I like to know what it all really means. I've never seen a vehicle that the DTE was calibrated to negative miles! Usually they're extremely conservative.

·
12,306 Posts
Hey Osis,

Let's try not being a jerk, k?

·
Banned
2017 Outback
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Osis,

Let's try not being a jerk, k?
I'm trying to keep to the facts , "just fill 'er up before it is 1/4 empty" doesn't really answer the question to somebody who has found their low fuel warning light on, they are going to want to know exactly how far they can drive before running out.

ask the people who find themselves in this situation who here is being the jerk

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited
226 Posts
Good info Osis, especially for me who gets his gas in the US where it's 1/2 price of BC gas.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
I'm trying to keep to the facts , "just fill 'er up before it is 1/4 empty" doesn't really answer the question to somebody who has found their low fuel warning light on, they are going to want to know exactly how far they can drive before running out.

ask the people who find themselves in this situation who here is being the jerk
There is no definitive answer. There are too many factors involved. Speed, terrain, tire pressure, wind direction, temperature, etc.

The answer is fill it up before it is down to a quarter of a tank.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring
13 Posts
Don't rely on Subaru's electronics

On the 1st road trip I took with my '17 outback I learned the hard way how inaccurate the low fuel light / miles to empty was.

Navigation indicated 2.5 miles to next fuel - Low fuel indicated 30 miles before empty - suddenly the car stalled on 4 lane highway...,

It was off by 27+ miles! WTF?

On the bright side, starlink had the Idaho Highway Patrol deliver 2.5 gallons free of charge.

Yesterday we took a short day trip and the light came on / navigation prompted to find nearest fuel - I touched the button to find fuel and it returned - "No results" but several gas stations were within a mile up the highway!

In summary, don't rely on Subaru's electronics.

·
12,306 Posts
There is no definitive answer. There are too many factors involved. Speed, terrain, tire pressure, wind direction, temperature, etc.
/thread.

You can come up with approximates, but there is no way to form a "You Shall Have 25 Miles From The Light" conclusion. It is not possible.

Reactions: jakemccoy

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
yes
my last vacation I drove 1050 miles with only one stop for gas in between, it included driving overnight

I have a suggestion for you:
use your Outback as it was intended

you people who never let your tank get below 1/4 full must not stray far from civilization
it's a big country, it's an even bigger continent
there are places if you don't calculate how far you can go beforehand, you ain't gonna make it
you need to know the capability of the vehicle otherwise you cannot do a proper calculation
you'll be hauling gas you don't need (and could possibly be stolen when you do need it) or have a long wait for a good Samaritan to come along

BTW, when I filled it with gas it took 18.1 gallons, no I didn't squeeze ever drop I could in
Now, who's being facetious?

I've been to some very remote areas. Ever drive to Big Bend National Park, TX? Gas stations are few and far between, but still quite doable if you plan ahead. If you drive 1050 miles with only one stop, you are a danger to yourself, your passengers and anyone else on the road.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
I ran out of gas before.

Low fuel light came on.

Destination (a cabin we were staying the weekend) was 20 miles away. Car said 40 miles until empty.

Made it there. Parked. Had a good weekend.

Got to leave Sunday afternoon. Car wouldn't start.

Had to have friends run and get a can.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
Your results may differ. I read that some where, hundreds of times.

1 - 20 of 243 Posts