Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize most of you are pro-biased as Subaru lovers, that said, I would like some input. I am seriously considering a new Outback.

How do Subaru's do for rust in Northern climes with snow and salt?

Because the back is fairly square, is road spray accumulation on the rear a problem?? If so is there a deflector of spoiler that works, and can you recommend one??

James

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Premium
721 Posts
I haven't noticed any significant rust on ours. Of course, all cars are better rust-proofed than in past decades. And alot of the lower body panels are plastic anyway. I'd imagine that Subarus are about "average" in that department. There seem to be few complaints.

As far as the back window goes, it really depends on the weather. Sure, it collects more spray than a sedan, but I find it not to be a problem. I just clean the window with a squeege in rainy climates, or use the rear wiper. As far as a rear deflector, I've haven't seen one on an Outback, but perhaps they are offered by the aftermarket guys.

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Outback Limited, 2013 2.5 Legacy Premium
534 Posts
The underbelly seems to rust fairly quickly but the parts still last. Just a pain to work on after a little while. The body panels on most new cars don't rust out like they used to as most parts are vinyl or very well painted and protected. (May be better paint on some makes than others, but who knows...?)

K

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I realize most of you are pro-biased as Subaru lovers, that said, I would like some input. I am seriously considering a new Outback.

How do Subaru's do for rust in Northern climes with snow and salt?

Because the back is fairly square, is road spray accumulation on the rear a problem?? If so is there a deflector of spoiler that works, and can you recommend one??

James
2013 Outback comes with rear deflector/spoiler with integrated third brake light standard on all models, if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My 2005 is showing no rust on the body panels. I always get my car washed a few days after the road salt clears and pay extra for the undercarriage wash if the shop offers it. I could have sworn the older models had a 10 year rust perforation warranty... it looks like the 2013's have 5 year : https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/warranties-2013.html . There is another older thread here discussing the rust warranty http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/31258-why-such-lame-rust-warranty.html

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,434 Posts
I don't feel like the shape of the wagon is contributing much to salt-gathering.

The problem areas on a Subaru are the rear subframe which is somewhat lighter steel. It is the basis of the body lift between the rear suspension and the body. That and the lower door arches in the body itself just forward of the rear wheels.

Another spot to watch is the fuel filler neck, running through the right rear fender.

If you get a significant scratch or chip in the paint you'll need to address it quickly to prevent rust from starting. Once it starts it's just a matter of time.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
You can stave off rust by keeping your undercarriage clean during the salty months. Every couple of weeks should be fine. That goes for pretty much every car out there. If you like to leave the pavement from time to time it's very important to get that mud off as soon as possible.

Preventing corrosion is important to automakers these days. Toyota has stepped up their efforts with their trucks as they are notorious rust buckets.

As for the rear getting filthy, you're going to see that with most if not all wagons. Your choice is a clean rear end or good fuel economy. There is a wiper with a washer back there. Give it a spritz and a wipe every now and then.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,434 Posts
Many states are still salting the roads as if it were 1985 and the SUV & public internet access had yet to be invented.

Now many more drivers have AWD and many, many more people have the ability to work from home in a pinch.

But they still put millions of tons of salt onto the roads, into the water supply etc...

An icy road can give you trouble all winter. A rusty car will give you trouble all year 'round. A rusty bridge? oh just stop there.

·
Registered
95 Outback 2.2L/auto stone stock
24 Posts
Lisa's 95 OB is showing very little rust. The back hatch has a ghost dealer sticker outline from New Hampshire, we bought the car in 2006 in Seattle, and used it until August or September of 2011. No body cancer at all, very little rust on the suspension components, a couple of deep scratches on the right front fender showing a trace of rust. Very surprising for a car that came out of New England.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
The new OB comes with the Spoiler standard. I never thought much of it, but now that I drive a Forester daily without one, it sure helps.

I have to use my rear wiper on my Forester with even the slightest bit of rain, and I notice the rear window is considerably dirtier than the OB. When driving the OB I seldom use the rear wiper while driving, the water just seems to flow away from the window.

If you looks at the rear of the OB, the window is actually slanted considerably, which I think adds to less dirt.

As for the rust, I had an '08 Legacy GT with 88k miles, a lot of those put on in the salty dirty roads of WV. It didn't have a sign of rust. I kept it clean, but wasn't overly persistent. My parents have a '09 Forester with 90k miles and a '11 Forester with 60k miles, no rust problems. They aren't as diligent as I am either.

As mentioned, newer cars in general are better treated and prepared to avoid rust.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
I live in an area in which they salt the main roads as if salt is going out of style pretty soon! I had a 2003 Outback that had rust developing on the rear fenders (just above the wheels).
Compared to other station wagon/SUV type of vehicles, both my 2003 and my current 2013 Outback get dirtier in the back from road spray than some of the others did. But as long as the rear wiper works, I don't care.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts