Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I just purchased my first Outback and really love the car!

2014 Outback Limited with 33K miles.

I am noticing some rust on the car.

Is this normal / OK for a 4 year old Outback? Any concern I should have?

Some details:
  • Car was originally owned at the Jersey Shore
  • Now kept in Eastern Pennsylvania
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
900 Posts
I would say that looks fairly typical for a vehicle that lived near the beach for several years and may have spent some time actually driving on the beach. Did you not take a look at the underside before you purchased it?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Agree with Jon. Looks like I would expect for something driven down the NJ shore or PA winter, salted road slush.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome feedback guys! Thank you!! Makes me feel much better :smile2:

I did look under the car before purchase, and it seemed OK. But honestly - I am new to used car purchases, and wasn't 100% sure.

I will definitely try treating it. Thank you for that advice.

(Hopefully this post can help others)

Thank you again!!

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
I would also suggest that you take the car to a good rust-proofing facility that does used cars.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,277 Posts
Assume there is still salt burried in the nooks-n-crannies. This salt is munching away at your car ALL SUMMER in the humid weather

So - the first thing you need to do is use COPIOUS amounts of water to remove as much salt as possible. Spray water underneath your car from every possible angle.

Then, after at least a week to dry, have it RUSTPROOFED.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Assume there is still salt burried in the nooks-n-crannies. This salt is munching away at your car ALL SUMMER in the humid weather

So - the first thing you need to do is use COPIOUS amounts of water to remove as much salt as possible. Spray water underneath your car from every possible angle.

Then, after at least a week to dry, have it RUSTPROOFED.
Great idea! I will definitely do this...

Thank you guys for all the great feedback. It's VERY helpful.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,119 Posts
I see this on a few cars in Oregon that are kept outside near ocean surf. It comes from waves pounding on rocks, and the salt spray that is kicked up is blown inland for some distance, typically a quarter to half a mile.

It's typically not as bad as winter exposure to salted roads, which is more concentrated, but there is one difference: Salt spray gets everywhere, not just the undersides of the car. The latter is noticed more just because there's more unprotected metal underneath, and that's where people are used to seeing this happen.

Therefore, flush out as best you can everything that's outside the door and window rubber seals. Think of roof rack nooks and crannies, sunroof, underhood areas, headlamps, tail lights, etc.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Limited/Ex: 2000 Outback Limited
203 Posts
A 'trick' to wash the underneath area is to use an oscillating lawn sprinkler. Just put it under and let it spray, you can easily move it around by pullin' and pushin' on the hose.

Bill

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
449 Posts
The only way a car that old won't show rust is if it stayed inside a climate controlled garage and was never driven!

Enjoy your Outback!

Reactions: Hil

·
Registered
Forester - 1999, Outback 2.0D - 2010, Mazda MX-5 Miata - 2014.
129 Posts
Here is a swedish report on the Outback and rust. But this is referring to a Japanese production. Not shure what Subaru do with the cars in the US. I have protected my 2010 from new, and no rust problems so far. I only use it for winter drives on salted roads.
From Google translate:

«Rust test: Subaru Outback 2015

Published May 12, 2015
RUST

«Old-fashioned construction of rear screens and many open joints under the car gives poor rust protection.
Steel steel body , except the bonnet made of aluminum - a news in this generation's Outback. Good lacquer and airy screen design.

The interior and doors of the tailgate have a certain anti-corrosion treatment and the front and rear inserts are made of plastic. The rear edges of the rear have an old-fashioned dirt collector shelf, the fuel tank is made of sheet metal and the beams underneath the car lack completely internal treatment. No wear protection is available underneath and on several open surfaces only ground paint has been used.

The covers under the car have been put in place when certain surface protection products are sprayed - under the hoods there is only ground paint. Many open joints under the car.

Root protection guarantee: 12 years

test information
Rating: 2 of 5
ratings

5. Material selection, structures and other protective measures are effective. Roast attacks should not come within the first six years.
4. Select rustproofing with some doubtful design solutions that can cause problems in the long run.
3. Normal rust protection where any kind of treatment has been done in factory or afterwards. Structures / materials can for a while save poorer treatment.
2. The treatment is sparse or often absent entirely. Usually only steel material. Attacks within a few years, not always visible to the naked eye.
1. Insufficient rust protection. The cars do not manage a winter on salty roads without attack. Treatment is recommended immediately.»

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5, Eyesight all black... Car is named Blackie Carbon.
17 Posts
We used to live in Wisconsin. If you're not familiar with the state, I'll summarize it.

Outrageous Taxes
Terrible Weather (except two weeks in Sept.)
Rusty Cars
Frizzy Hair.

Unless it got real bad, we didn't fix engine or trans oil leaks, they kept the undercarriage for getting rusty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We used to live in Wisconsin. If you're not familiar with the state, I'll summarize it.

Outrageous Taxes
Terrible Weather (except two weeks in Sept.)
Rusty Cars
Frizzy Hair.

Unless it got real bad, we didn't fix engine or trans oil leaks, they kept the undercarriage for getting rusty.
Hysterical!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you so much for your comments and feedback, great stuff! The Subaru community is incredible, that I can see for sure!

The car is really running nice, it was a GREAT purchase that I am VERY happy with.

About to buy Kayak racks. The Outbacks first trip to Maine!

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
839 Posts
Your cars photos are clear. You have no undercoating, factory or aftermarket. Easiest "solution" at this stage in rust would be to spray with Fluid Film. It's a sticky/waxy product which stops rust and other stuff. It's commonly used in the marine/boating industry for metal protection in salt water. It's not permanent. It's cheap and easy. Claims to last about 1 year. I use it on my suspension, brake lines and fittings and other undercarriage bits.
https://www.fluid-film.com/aviation-applications/
This is not a tar based undercoating. Tar works great when the metal is young but not the best choice once oxidation begins.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts