Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded a 2021 limited Xt with 400miles with sagging headliner (another thread), for a 2021 limited Xt with 70 miles. I thought it had noticed some aluminum corrosion and took a deeper look to find this underneath. There is some on the top also.

Any advice would be awesome. I feel like I'm 0-2.
PXL_20210217_161502943.jpg
PXL_20210217_161438103.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just traded a 2021 limited Xt with 400miles with sagging headliner (another thread), for a 2021 limited Xt with 70 miles. I thought it had noticed some aluminum corrosion and took a deeper look to find this underneath. There is some on the top also.

Any advice would be awesome. I feel like I'm 0-2.
View attachment 504191 View attachment 504192
What’s the context of the pictures, what part of the car? If underneath, could it be some road salt, by chance?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT Ice Silver Metallic
367 Posts
Wow, that is pretty surprising with only 70 miles. What is the build date (look in the door jamb) and how heavily salted are the roads in your area? I'm wondering if it was previously test-driven through a lot of road salt and then parked on the dealer lot without a wash for a while.

·
Registered
367 Posts
What’s the context of the pictures, what part of the car? If underneath, could it be some road salt, by chance?
It looks like the transmission and transmission pan.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry that is oil pan viewed from front right of car. It's all over block and transmission. I live in south GA so maybe salt

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sorry that is oil pan viewed from front right of car. It's all over block and transmission. I live in south GA so maybe salt
There shouldn't be much salt on the roads in South GA since substantial snowfall doesn't really happen, but maybe your local powers that be went overboard in light of the recent cold snap through much of the US. Even if you live close to the coast, I wouldn't expect that much salt from wind blown ocean salts. I live on the Gulf Coast and have never had any noticeable salt related corrosion on my vehicles. Maybe your car was transferred from a Northern dealership? In any case, while it is surprising to see on a 70 mile vehicle... just give the vehicle a good undercarriage wash and the rust likely won't get much worse any time soon unless you find yourself driving somewhere that does salt the roads often and you don't wash the salts off for a while.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Outback
325 Posts
With 70 miles on it, despite conditions you should not be seeing that much rust and corrosion. Sounds like that stealership is selling Subaru factory seconds!

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT Crystal White
53 Posts
That stinks. Its definitely salt - i would expect much less corrosion even in a heavy salted area. Im guessing Scoobs is right. It got taken out and not cleaned before sitting.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,761 Posts
Does everyone look under their brand new car?
I do a cursory peek but never crawl under it to look at the oil pan. Thank goodness you inspected the car thoroughly or if you discovered it 6 months down the road they would claim it wasn't like that when you bought it. You did good. The first time I actually went under my car was at around the 1000 mile mark.

·
Registered
367 Posts
At the time of the purchase I just do a quick glance under the car and in the engine bay to check for any leaks or other obvious issues. After I bring the car home I do a more involved inspection, both to check for issues and because I enjoy learning about my cars. I've had my 2020 Outback since June and have put about 5k miles on it so far with many of those miles driven in the heavy rain that is so common on the Gulf Coast and I have not seen any rust as of yet. My previous 2015 Outback didn't have any rust after a couple of years and tens of thousands of miles either.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
153 Posts
Sure do. My 2013 Jeep Wranger had surface rust on the axels and the frame. I wire brushed it down and either used POR-15 on some parts and a Black Chassis Epoxy on others.

This does seem odd though. The front pan should let a lot of salt and such not adhere. I am in the Rust Belt and they toss so much salt around here, I would think that is where this car is, NOT where you are.
One thing I do is try and get my car through a carwash with a good undercarriage wash to keep stuff like this down.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
There shouldn't be much salt on the roads in South GA since substantial snowfall doesn't really happen, but maybe your local powers that be went overboard in light of the recent cold snap through much of the US. Even if you live close to the coast, I wouldn't expect that much salt from wind blown ocean salts. I live on the Gulf Coast and have never had any noticeable salt related corrosion on my vehicles. Maybe your car was transferred from a Northern dealership? In any case, while it is surprising to see on a 70 mile vehicle... just give the vehicle a good undercarriage wash and the rust likely won't get much worse any time soon unless you find yourself driving somewhere that does salt the roads often and you don't wash the salts off for a while.
Depends on the jurisdiction as you say... in the south it’ll be brine, and some states will use magnesium chloride in there too. The state might cover the bridges on the interstates and state highways even if a county / city doesn’t put anything out.

In those pics, a few of the fasteners maybe could be replaced by the dealer. That one metal plate near the exhaust would take a little work.

Heck, have them fix that stuff, then pay for some sort of oil based undercoating

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
655 Posts
Q: did they truck the car to the dealership, or was this a case of they swapped with another dealer to give you what you wanted and some car jockey delivered it? Did it have, say, 50 miles on it when you got it? Looks like road salt on aluminum to me.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT Magnetite Gray
72 Posts
Is this the same dealer that you received the bad headliner vehicle from? If so I think you unfortunately found a garbage dealer. A dealer that does not care about customer service. It should not take a crawl under a car to verify it has premature corrosion and or salt buildup.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts