Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I have a 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5L that I bought new in November of 2014. It is my first Subaru. It's been a great car for the most part and I just turned over 52,000 miles with it. I wash and wax it regularly and keep it in the garage and I change the oil myself every 6,000 miles with synthetic. I take pretty good care of it.

I noticed several months ago there is some rust starting on the inside of the front doors where the window frame meets the rest of the door. I scraped the rust away with an x-acto knife and touched it up on the drivers door. The bottoms of my doors were coated with rustproofing when they were new, so they are ok. The passenger door isn't as bad as the drivers but it is starting to rust. Anyone else notice rust on their car in this spot?

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,616 Posts
Get fluid film and spray it in these places and any place else you feel is important Should help stop or slow it down. If you live near the coast in a foggy salty area you will need all the help you can find.

I used it underneath my OB the first few days I bought it. Used about 8 cans. I used a wand attached the spray can to get inside panels and little openings. Found it on e-bay. Could have used more. May do some more this spring.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-11-75-Spray-3-pak/dp/B00B93ZXGS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluid-Film...353834&hash=item4af273b12a:g:w-UAAOSwNRdX88Q-

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with Fluid Film as I've used it on my older pickup trucks to keep them from rusting any further. The inside of the doors of my Outback are Fluid Filmed. It would be awkward to fluid Film the door jamb as it's a spot that you touch all the time while opening and closing the doors. This rust seems really premature to me. I live in Western Pennsylvania, so salt and snowy winters and rust is a familiar problem.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,616 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with Fluid Film as I've used it on my older pickup trucks to keep them from rusting any further. The inside of the doors of my Outback are Fluid Filmed. It would be awkward to fluid Film the door jamb as it's a spot that you touch all the time while opening and closing the doors. This rust seems really premature to me. I live in Western Pennsylvania, so salt and snowy winters and rust is a familiar problem.
Hah, you know more than I do about rust. Yes, it does seem premature. Talk to the dealer I guess as a starting point.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,551 Posts
This rust seems really premature to me. I live in Western Pennsylvania, so salt and snowy winters and rust is a familiar problem.
This explains one part of it - the reason that the rust started on the driver's side door first is that opposing traffic splashes more on this side of the car than the passenger side.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Op: where do you live?
Pittsburgh PA.

I hate to say it but, because you got handy with the Xacto I wouldn’t expect any dealer to give a ****.
The dealership wouldn't care anyways, unless there is "perforation" aka "rusted all the way through", the dealership won't touch it. I work in a body shop and we do some warranty work for a couple local dealers. Rust is a familiar problem and I deal with repairing it on almost a daily basis. I can easily repair this rust myself, but I'm gonna wait and see if my touch up job holds up a while longer as I'm not it a rush to repair it. The main purpose of this post was to see if anyone else had rust in the same spot.

This rust seems really premature to me. I live in Western Pennsylvania, so salt and snowy winters and rust is a familiar problem.
This explains one part of it - the reason that the rust started on the driver's side door first is that opposing traffic splashes more on this side of the car than the passenger side.
I still can't explain why the rust is so high up. I might expect some rust on a wheel arch or a rocker panel pinch weld, but it seems odd to me that it's rusting almost 3 feet off the ground. The only thing I can think of is poor paint prep or poor seam sealing from the factory, being it is right on a seam.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I hate to say it but, because you got handy with the Xacto I wouldn’t expect any dealer to give a ****.
I wouldn't expect any dealer to give a rat's butt even if the OP didn't go wild with an Xacto.

Hardly looks like anything I would even worry about. If there is rust you can see, you can bet there is rust you can't see.

If it bothered me I would dissolve it with naval jelly before applying an inhibitor.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't expect any dealer to give a rat's butt even if the OP didn't go wild with an Xacto.

Hardly looks like anything I would even worry about. If there is rust you can see, you can bet there is rust you can't see.

If it bothered me I would dissolve it with naval jelly before applying an inhibitor.
Yeah, the dealership won't do anything unless there is perforation. Plus, Subarus aren't exactly known for being super rust-resistant. I'm not shocked, but I did expect slightly better corrosion protection.

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,045 Posts
Exactly what I thought.......2X galvanized sheet metal body panels and aluminum hood.........that’s the way my 2003 Forrie was built also and no rust after 12+ years.......as in zero.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,551 Posts
From the Subaru Outback brochure:
Body: Dual-sided galvanized steel

Maybe just the edges were not protected properly?
Very good point. I looked at the original photos again and noted that it's the cut metal edges and round holes where rust has started.

I'm no expert in the galvanizing processes, but I do note that galvanized bolts or other hardware used outdoors on fences and such tend to first rust wherever the wrench touches it - e.g. the flats on the corners of the hex head bolts or nuts. I'm guessing here that any galvanized surface that's left undisturbed will do pretty well outdoors, at least as long as the zinc holds out, whereas anything that is cut or stressed has been compromised.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring, Crystal White Pearl
67 Posts
Exactly what I thought.......2X galvanized sheet metal body panels and aluminum hood.........that’s the way my 2003 Forrie was built also and no rust after 12+ years.......as in zero.
I traded in a 14+yo Forester for my new Outback and the service techs seemed to be amazed at the complete lack of rust on it. Living in southern New England, it saw lots and lots of salty winters and yet ... no rust. I'm hoping my Outback performs just as well for just as long! <fingers crossed>

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,045 Posts
I think that the OP is seeing some minor surface rust around stamped holes..........which is, unless someone else knows more, is normal.

The double sided galvanized panels "heal" themselves if the coating has a chip in it....the old Forrie that I had would get a tiny paint chip on it from a stone, the chip would rust a bit and then STOP........I would then catch the damage and do my normal chip repair and that was it, never an increasing rust hole, NEVER.......

If you look under the cars, yes, there is some surface rust BUT it's not much of a problem. Of course, I always carefully wash the underside of our cars as soon as the weather permits so salt and other corrosives don't stay there for long.......

Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts