Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
16 outback, 18 crosstrek, 05 wrangler, 81 corvette, 74 TR6
59 Posts
Will be ordering the fluid film pro kit from Amazon, need to do my TJ wrangler, wife's benz, son's crosstrek, daughters explorer and my outback. Looks like the lift is going to get some serious use soon.

·
Registered
2020 Outback 2.5i Premium
11 Posts
...necro thread. I just had Fluid Film done on mine. 47miles on the clock, 6 days old. $275 for the application. They hit the doors and the hood too. I bought a 6 pack of CRC HD Marine anit Corrosion...I'll push this the rest of the way, and flood the rockers with ATF/Mineral Oil/Petrolium Jelly witches brew. The wheel wells are coming out. I'll hit up the inside, paint the brake calipers/rotors with POR15, and lub up the sliding hardware. NE Ohio winters are hard. I gotta get it into the shop, have the alignment bolts removed, anti-sezied and replaced. Same thing with cradle bolts. I did the Motor Oil/Diesel mix to my '01 GC8 body. I hit it up 3 winters in a row of 5 years of ownership. I took care of that car and it still rotted out rear quarters.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
...necro thread. I just had Fluid Film done on mine. 47miles on the clock, 6 days old. $275 for the application. They hit the doors and the hood too. I bought a 6 pack of CRC HD Marine anit Corrosion...I'll push this the rest of the way, and flood the rockers with ATF/Mineral Oil/Petrolium Jelly witches brew. The wheel wells are coming out. I'll hit up the inside, paint the brake calipers/rotors with POR15, and lub up the sliding hardware. NE Ohio winters are hard. I gotta get it into the shop, have the alignment bolts removed, anti-sezied and replaced. Same thing with cradle bolts. I did the Motor Oil/Diesel mix to my '01 GC8 body. I hit it up 3 winters in a row of 5 years of ownership. I took care of that car and it still rotted out rear quarters.
Keep us updated!

Anything to avoid them rusting out is good.

I've heard of the oil/diesel mix for rust proofing HOWEVER I also heard it can CAUSE rust.

Between that and environmental concerns it was enough for me to use fluid film.

The spray cans are handy but I might buy it by the gallon and a sprayer if I'm doing two vehicles annually.

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,127 Posts
about a year and a half ago I bought 2 cans of fluid film at Lowes for i think $9.69 usd a can.
I was going to treat my 91 Honda RT4WD winter car. But i sold the car last spring. I bought a BAJA insurance auction car to replace my winter car, the BAJA even came with snow tires on it. At the end of August we had a nice day that i was off for some vacation and I got the power washer out. Took the spare tire out the Baja and cleaned it up. Let it dry 2 full days. Then I took the back tires off, and got the back on jackstands in the driveway and was hoping my 2 cans of fluid film still had pressure for sitting so long
Here is 3 pics i just took under my 03 BAJA rear end after the fluid film protection.

I mainly focused my efforts on the rear crossmember and mounts for it, and the stuff way way up along the frame. For being an 03, it sure was really good still, and i will keep updates going since i will likely have this car many years as a winter beast.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
about a year and a half ago I bought 2 cans of fluid film at Lowes for i think $9.69 usd a can.
I was going to treat my 91 Honda RT4WD winter car. But i sold the car last spring. I bought a BAJA insurance auction car to replace my winter car, the BAJA even came with snow tires on it. At the end of August we had a nice day that i was off for some vacation and I got the power washer out. Took the spare tire out the Baja and cleaned it up. Let it dry 2 full days. Then I took the back tires off, and got the back on jackstands in the driveway and was hoping my 2 cans of fluid film still had pressure for sitting so long
Here is 3 pics i just took under my 03 BAJA rear end after the fluid film protection.

I mainly focused my efforts on the rear crossmember and mounts for it, and the stuff way way up along the frame. For being an 03, it sure was really good still, and i will keep updates going since i will likely have this car many years as a winter beast.

Did you treat the crossmembers with anything after the pressure wash, or just the fluid film?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I did not treat with anything after the power wash, just a 2 day drying and fluid film.
- I think i started with a good clean slate, as other pictures of peoples BAJA's I have seen many others that have even the spare tire guides rusty. Mine were minty still.

Also these areas in the back door jambs, i cleaned very well, then applied LOTS of regular car wax

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I did not treat with anything after the power wash, just a 2 day drying and fluid film.
- I think i started with a good clean slate, as other pictures of peoples BAJA's I have seen many others that have even the spare tire guides rusty. Mine were minty still.

Also these areas in the back door jambs, i cleaned very well, then applied LOTS of regular car wax
I hate to say it but that is cleaner than the VDC Baja underneath. The spare tire guides are rusty. I plan to fit a full sized spare there (It will work with some coercion.)

I guess I need to start fluid filming it too.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

The area pictured here is what ultimately decided the fate of my Gen 2.
The dog legs had a rust hole you could put a boot in, the exhaust was rusted out, the rear sub frame was in bad shape, and then the valves wrecked (belt snapped?) into each other when I was picking up a pizza.

Wasn't worth getting fixed in the state it was in.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
yeah my other dog leg is poop. it came me this way, car had already had previous damage here on the left, see the double humps
, and primer and overyspray, but again NO rust. This side is pure pooop, but that is better than rust for a winter warrior car. I should get a bunch of years out of it. BTW, i bought it front hit, and the ac condensor is poop too, but I won;t need AC on a winter car.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey guys,

They all sound like good ideas. The ounce of prevention sure beats a pound, pound, weld of cure.
I Was wondering if anyone had tried this on a car that already got cancer, but the doctor said we can do something to prolong your life. Chemicals (chemo) like one of these kits or oil spray. I'm going to do surgery on a few body spots that are rusted through, but the undercarriage is still sound. Any recommendations other than prime it first and follow up with an oil based metal paint if you were starting over on a panel?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,501 Posts
This year I used krown rustproofing on our ‘11 outback this year for the first time...also did our ‘18 crosstrek too. They guy who did it said that for a nine year old car it was in great shape.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,501 Posts
Thanks! I'll look into using that.
Kown is one of those which is a yearly application...oil based spray...and yes they do dril a number of holes around the door frames and one in the hatch to get it in all those hard to get areas

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,006 Posts
Well, you could get nice and fat using it, then go in for liposuction, render down the fat, and use it for your rust protection........:surprise:
A self sustaining model? Hmm?

🤔

Oh wait, with gov't subsidies, corn juice is a self sustaining model. Either in the tummy or the tank.

Oh wait. It also appears I am still off topic and still commenting on high fructose corn syrup in most our food and oddly somehow corn also in our Subi fuel?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
A self sustaining model? Hmm?

🤔

Oh wait, with gov't subsidies, corn juice is a self sustaining model. Either in the tummy or the tank.

Oh wait. It also appears I am still off topic and still commenting on high fructose corn syrup in most our food and oddly somehow corn also in our Subi fuel?
The Farm Lobby is legit. Organized, powerful, effective.

The Sugar quota's alone basically double the cost of Sugar for the rest of us but no one cares because we might upset a few farmers in Florida.

@Kryptek I have been told fluid film stops rust since it cuts off the oxygen supply. The theory makes sense but I don't have any further proof.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree. Theory seems sound. I'm probably starting it later than I should have. But that should stave off spread, or at least slow it down, after I replace some metal.

On the other hand, I've known those who stored fine tools in a cool environment and they rusted from condensation even though they had a heavy coat of household oil. Without the oil they would've no doubt been more heavily rusted.
Just found a nice kitchen utensil made in the USA by Ekco. It's chrome plated and has been setting probably a year unused and clean in the drawer. I just discovered surface rust and light pitting. Lol!

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,412 Posts
yeah my other dog leg is poop. it came me this way, car had already had previous damage here on the left, see the double humps
, and primer and overyspray, but again NO rust. This side is pure pooop, but that is better than rust for a winter warrior car. I should get a bunch of years out of it. BTW, i bought it front hit, and the ac condensor is poop too, but I won;t need AC on a winter car.
FYI: The gen 2 dog leg rust starts from the inside. Along with the fender rust. You need to get some spray INSIDE the body panels. Pull the sill protectors and there will be some circle tape covering holes that will gain you access to the inside of the panels. The fenders are going to be trickier on Baja's than wagon/coupes. On a side note. The outside body cladding is supposed to have SEALED body panel retainer clips. They come with small foam washers to seal out any moisture from passing them. You can see the retainer hole in this pic. It needs to be sealed.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
FYI: The gen 2 dog leg rust starts from the inside. Along with the fender rust. You need to get some spray INSIDE the body panels. Pull the sill protectors and there will be some circle tape covering holes that will gain you access to the inside of the panels. The fenders are going to be trickier on Baja's than wagon/coupes. On a side note. The outside body cladding is supposed to have SEALED body panel retainer clips. They come with small foam washers to seal out any moisture from passing them. You can see the retainer hole in this pic. It needs to be sealed.
Good info!

I've never seen a foam washer on those clips.

Also preliminary results on fluid film looks positive.

No rust has formed anywhere I've sprayed.

Even better: The rust that was there (the hitch being the worse since it's seen 6 winters now) has stopped and doesn't look BRAND new but looks in very good shape.

I might give it a second coat next month and then just apply annually in the fall after that.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts