Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT Magnetite Grey
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else noticed any corrosion/rust spots on the chrome window trim?

I noticed a few small spots on one side on my Onyx XT around two months after I got it. I figured perhaps some small rocks might have hit the area while driving on the freeway and caused it but I have noticed more spots coming up on the other side as well. Given I do little freeway driving anymore, I doubt rock impacts are the cause.

I am not sure what the base material is for the trim and whether or not it actually has chromium plating or something else (hard chrome is subject to cracking) but seeing rust spots this soon is pretty disappointing. I am considering doing a chrome delete of the trim anyways but wondering if others have this issue and whether I should bother Subaru about fixing it.
IMG_20200821_141550.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited
608 Posts
You can remove rust spots with a clay bar or iron remover. It's normal for cars to get them from daily driving due to brake dust in the environment or other fallout.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,996 Posts
You can remove rust spots with a clay bar or iron remover. It's normal for cars to get them from daily driving due to brake dust in the environment or other fallout.
What he said.

I also recommend Iron-X for this, just spray and watch the color change. Also works great to remove brake dust or just normal pre-detail ferrous paint decontamination.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
774 Posts
If you want to look up tips for removal, it’s called rail dust.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT Magnetite Grey
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the info and recommendations. Hopefully that is all it is then. I'll give it a try and see how it goes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts