Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to deal with some rust on my roof, part of which is at the top of my windshield.

My main question is whether or not the moulding is removable/replaceable without removing the windshield.

The rust is growing on the top driver's side corner of the windshield, and as we all know, I can only stop the bleeding, but I'd like to do so before it gets worse.

Anybody have any experience or knowledge with this?
I can't figure out how the moulding is installed based on the diagrams I have found.

I know this is possible with many BMWs, so I was hoping I could do with my outback.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
717 Posts
shirtlessShoe,

That molding surrounds 3 sides of the glass and is available from any auto glass shop or JC Whitney ($30 US). As to whether you can get it off without destroying it remains to be seen. The windshield sealant used today is an absolute bear to remove, and generally has to be cut from the body of the car. But even if you destroy it, you can get a replacement.

Personally I'd see a glass shop and put the question to them. They're doing that kind of work every day, and can give you some pointers. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. I'll ask a shop and update. I've looked at tons of resources, and haven't found a lot of information, so I'm sure there are other people with similar questions.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
I needed a windshield, talked to the local glass guy who puts them in when you're at work etc, and set it up where he'd come to my house and remove the windshield, I'd do some rust repair, then he'd come back for the install.

Those big brown fibrous stripping wheels you put in a drill leave a mess but work great!

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i spoke to a windshield repair company who happened to be working on my neighbors car. He said that the stripping would have to be removed at the same time as the windshield, and would need to be replaced regardless. So no chance on just removing the moulding. All the national chains I called denied my request to remove the windshield one day and come back after i do the rust repair myself. I found a local repair company that was happy to oblige. So if you are looking for something similar, try to find a local business.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,203 Posts
I have to do the same - repair some under-the-paint rust at the top of the windshield that extends to under the stripping. I also am planning on replacing the windshield because of all the tiny chips that are rather annoying at night.

Plan is to remove the windshield myself and have Safelight put the new one in ( here at my shop while I can watch him do it). I would suggest they you consider the same route - more than likely your rust extends to beyond where you can treat it under the windshield glue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts