Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback Wagon 2.5L
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posed here about my '06 developing this massive leak. It looks like the brake lines come from the front in the cabin, and go through the floor above the fuel tank:

There's a crusty-ass block under the floor where they connect:

Then they split, and one goes to the RR caliper (green arrow), and the other goes to the LR caliper (blue arrow):

The blue arrow line appears to route over the fuel tank. I can visually follow the RR line from the block to the caliper and there are no leaks there, so the leak as gotta be the line crossing over the tank to the LR caliper.

Does the 4-way block do any mixing, or is it basically top in, top out, and bottom in, bottom out? I see some guys have connected new lines in place of the old crusty ones. Could I basically tap in above the floor, and route new lines separately to the calipers?

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
4,729 Posts
Whichever way you choose to go... STRONGLY consider using nickel/copper brake-line as replacement.

Nickle/Coppper is easier to work with (bend, form compression-fittings...etc) and is practically rust-proof.

Many European automakers use Nickle/Copper right from the factory.... I wish all the automakers would use it.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
363 Posts
The 2 way joint block or whatever it is called does not do any mixing. I have right line rusted through but replaced left one too as I think it was seriously held together by rust. I spliced into brake lines in the car under a rear seat (your first pic) and routed a right line Normal way. I routed left line under the car seat and dropped it under the car on the left side of the car. That meant I left a pair of holes open in that joint block. I just got a new joint block for $7 from a dealer instead of trying to reuse old one.

Here is what the guy did on legacy forums - I checked with them and they said no issue with during it that line and car works fine. Subaru Legacy Forums - View Single Post - Rusted Recall Brake Line Failed

they have more details there if I recall correctly,
Thing to remember is to you will need double flare lines. Below is a link to a tool I used, I would recommend couple practice runs on spare tubing before flaring actual car lines. Also get a nice tube cutter device ($10?). Another word of advice - I basically replaced everything from where rear lines go under the car to calipers. Hard lines and hoses - stuff was old and so rusted I could not remove it so I cut through hoses. I also went crazy and replaced calipers with Legacy GT and put new discs and pads as well :) if you do that keep in mind 16 inch wheels won’t fit anymore as legacy GT calipers are bigger.

GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,771 Posts
NAPA will have NiCopp lines in different lenght's with ends on them. Just measure the length and buy what's close.

Reactions: avk and Marcinho

·
Registered
3 Posts
2-3 years ago, I had the same problem -rusted brake lines in the joint Ass'y -in my Suby OB 06.
Fortunately, I lost brake fluid, standing still.
searched the recall for this problem, and surely there was a recall, and the dealer fixed it in less than 1 week-for Free.
All original lines the proper way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts