Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 OB Auto
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have some cv axles that are pretty rusty on the hub side. The differential side is pretty good. Can I still use them?

Please see attached pictures.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
Silver: 2009 Subaru Outback Limited Edition, 2.5 Liter EJ25, Automatic. Gem: 2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean Edition, 3.0 liter EZ30D, Automatic
207 Posts
Well, I'm not an expert but they look a lot cleaner than the ones on my car now.
I'd be tempted to clean them and hit some of that metal with rustproofing.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,843 Posts
:19: rust?

clean up the little bit of rust with a scrub pad, or a brush on a dremel tool, or something similar with wd40 and put them on,

(cooper is softer then steel,)

if the boots are leaking reboot them with subaru boots.

other then that they look like minty great subaru OEM green cap axles. (superior then anything else available).

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,221 Posts
Wire Brush.

Either old school hand, or a wire wheel for a drill. Clean it up, (WD or PB it) and then grease it. Use a synthetic wheel bearing or assembly grease.

They will be fine.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,539 Posts
Just clean the splines up BTW - no need to mess with the exposed middle portions. In your climate they'll just rust again anyway.

·
Registered
2000 OB Auto
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just clean the splines up BTW - no need to mess with the exposed middle portions. In your climate they'll just rust again anyway.
Yes it is the second picture I was worrying about where the axle joins the hub. Although, I think my climate is pretty dry to rust.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts