Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening Everyone,

Hope everyones Fathers Day is going well. I'm again asking for help with the 2008 Outback Manual Transmission Pzev I have. The seat bolts are rusting and I don't know what to do about it. Also, the gas door lever has broken and the wire is completly rusted and the area that it accuates in is also innundated with rust. What do I do about that? Here are the photos.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Sprocket1
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Wood Gas

Bumper Gas Wood Snout Auto part
Wood Finger Artifact Close-up Nail
Eye Human body Gesture Wood Snout

Automotive tire Tire Wheel Wood Gas
Bumper Gas Wood Snout Auto part
Brown Fixture Wood Wall Rectangle
Wood Asphalt Automotive exterior Automotive tire Flooring
Wood Gas Tints and shades Automotive tire Home appliance
Eye Human body Gesture Wood Snout

Wood Gas Tints and shades Automotive tire Home appliance

Wood Asphalt Automotive exterior Automotive tire Flooring

Brown Fixture Wood Wall Rectangle

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
147 Posts
The fuel filler door and fuel filler neck vapor system are replaceable. They rust out and it’s a bit surprising you haven’t begun to smell fuel vapor fumes in the cabin. As for all the rust going on with the seatbelt and the seatbelt bolts and so forth, I would begin to examine the condition of the undercarriage particularly the frame rails. It’s entirely true that a car can rest out underneath you and be effectively unsalvageable while the engine might be good for another hundred thousand miles. I’ve had it happen. If the undercarriage isn’t rotted, then I would paint on somePhosphoric acid onto all that seating rust, tape off the surrounding carpet, and blastit with some color appropriate rustoleum and call it good.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
17,916 Posts
I believe the post was misinterpreted. The seats have to come up on order to effectively change the fuel door cable since it's route is along the floor by the seats, over the rear seat floor, through the interior 1/4 paneling and to the door release.

Spray all the bolts with PB Blaster. Soak them and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then, with the socket and an extension over the bolt, hit it with a hammer a few times to agitate the bolt and threads. You should be able to break them loose and get them out.

When you put the seat back in, put anti-seize on the bolts.

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
987 Posts
The fuel filler door and fuel filler neck vapor system are replaceable. They rust out and it’s a bit surprising you haven’t begun to smell fuel vapor fumes in the cabin. As for all the rust going on with the seatbelt and the seatbelt bolts and so forth, I would begin to examine the condition of the undercarriage particularly the frame rails. It’s entirely true that a car can rest out underneath you and be effectively unsalvageable while the engine might be good for another hundred thousand miles. I’ve had it happen. If the undercarriage isn’t rotted, then I would paint on somePhosphoric acid onto all that seating rust, tape off the surrounding carpet, and blastit with some color appropriate rustoleum and call it good.
I feel like the car was a flood victim, anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts