Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at Subaru Outback or Forester to tow behind our rv 2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32V,,, probably 2009 and newer,,anyone with experience in this,,modifications etc..thanks

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Looking at Subaru Outback or Forester to tow behind our rv 2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32V,,, probably 2009 and newer,,anyone with experience in this,,modifications etc..thanks
Your only option with subaru products are manual transmission. Ob is the up scale product the forrester is the mid scale product. Go drive them

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just had my new 2013 Outback (manual transmission) out at Blue Ox to have it modified fro flat towing (4 down). They used it as a template for the 2013 models. I tow it behind a V10 gasser Hurricane (F53 chassis). It tows very easy and I hardly can feel it behind the MT. You would need a trailer for all automatic Subarus.

Blue Ox has base plates for all Subarus that have manual transmissions.

Most other automatic AWD vehicles need to be trailered (like Audis, etc.) Only Chrysler products with a real transfer case can be flat towed.

You can send me a PM if you need more info (links, etc.)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Personally I'd trailer the Subaru, or any car I pull behind an RV, as you will avoid putting miles on the drivetrain with the associated wear and tear on tires and bearings etc....
You can always rent a trailer for that purpose as well. YMMV

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got an 13 outback premium with the 6 speed manual. Plan on towing it behind our RV but need to get base plates. Should tow very nicely

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Personally I'd trailer the Subaru, or any car I pull behind an RV, as you will avoid putting miles on the drivetrain with the associated wear and tear on tires and bearings etc....
Most big rv types dont care about towed miles. If your rv rig is big money a 22k ob is just play money.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just got an 13 outback premium with the 6 speed manual. Plan on towing it behind our RV but need to get base plates. Should tow very nicely
Blue Ox should have their base plates ready pretty soon. They used my car for fitting. That was about two weeks ago.

·
Registered
232 Posts
And once you are at your destination, what would you do with the trailer?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The only problem with this is the fact that most RV chassis are already close to their rated capacity with installed equipment, passengers, and gear. The trailer adds half again as much weight as the car further hampering braking and excelleration. The car on the ground will naturally track as it should while an inexperienced RVer could experience handling problems with a mis- loaded trailer.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Turn it in when rented or park it somewhere. Most RV parks have space for that....
Just a warning: around here, many (most?) parks only allow two"vehicles" per campsite. RV + trailer + car = three vehicles.

Trailering the car is quite an undertaking for most people. It is more costly and there is more room for error.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Same thing in Indiana State parks. Most do have parking up by the camp store for additional vehicles, etc though

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Just a warning: around here, many (most?) parks only allow two"vehicles" per campsite. RV + trailer + car = three vehicles.

Trailering the car is quite an undertaking for most people. It is more costly and there is more room for error.
That makes no difference wether the car is on the road or a trailer... I see the point about storage. It was just a suggestion anyway to trailer the car rather then tow it. YMMV peeps..:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Towing 2013 Outback behind RV

Hi All,

New to the forum. I just purchased a 2013 Outback manual transmission to tow behind our RV. I have the Blue Ox base plate and the Roadmaster Even Brake system installed. For lights, I'm using a TowMate wireless tail light system. TowMate.com - World's only full functioning wireless tail light system

I am new to RVs and have never flat towed a car. So, I'm trying to get as much information as I can before my first trip. I heard a rumour that older Outbacks had a problem when being flat towed in that the steering would not "center" after sharp turns....meaning that once you completed your turn, the front wheels on the outback stayed in their turned position causing them to be dragged sideways and destroyed.

Does anyone know if this ever was or still is a problem?

My understanding is that people would resolve this issue by hooking a bungee cord from the steering wheel to the door. When the wheel turned, the bungee would pull it back to center.

Thanks for any information.

Dan

PS: This is my first Subaru and I really like it. No problems at 4K miles.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Never heard of that problem. Either way, the steering system design in a 2013 has been revised at least twice since the 2009 model year. So I wouldn't think that a condition on old cars is still true on anything shipping today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
kingbiscuit
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing