Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99' OB Ltd 2.5 SOHC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did someone else try the SA459 Upper Engine Cleaner before? I was told this is an essental maintenance procedure at every 12500 Km. I did it last week but I just want to know whether it is importance or not.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Never heard of it. What's the SA stand for? Subaru Australia? There are a lot of those miracle cleaners out there, what's this one say it does? Brian

·
Registered
99' OB Ltd 2.5 SOHC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a Subaru Product and states in the offical maintenance record book. I don't know whether it appears in State or not.

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
242 Posts
It's a carbon cleaner all Sub dealers (at least in Oz) use at every service interval. Whether you "need" it is up to you. It's readily available from Subaru dealers.

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
355 Posts
My experience with this type of cleaner is on the Mitsubishi turbo 4G63 (Galant VR4, Eclipse, etc). This engine runs very rich, which leads to carbon buildup inside the combustion chamber. The valve-to-piston clearance is so tight that a skim of carbon on the valve face & piston crown is enough to cause contact. This contact sounds like ticking lifters & sets off the knock sensor, which retards timing, which makes that turbo engine run like crap.

Even if retarded timing due to "false" knock is not an issue, this carbon buildup has a tendency to absorb some of the atomized fuel as well as hold excess heat inside the combustion chamber.

Comparable products I've used are Mopar "combustion chamber conditioner" and GM "top engine cleaner." AFAIK, nothing this strong is sold outside of a dealership.

I'm curious how you administer the cleaner on an "H" engine?

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
What about BG's 44k? I've used that and have had great results. They make an array of cleaners/solvents now for engines. Brian

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
355 Posts
Is the 44K what I used to add to the gas tank? You could probably use it- an old mechanic's trick is to pour a trickle of ATF into the intake, while running, to achieve a de-carboning.

When using this stuff on a 4-cylinder (with the cylinders "upright") it was real easy (w/ engine off) to spray some into each chamber & let it soak. You end up with maybe a tablespoon of liquid cleaner in each cylinder.

I would siphon it out afterwards & big nasty chunks of carbon came out. With the engine idling, then, I would introduce it (slowly to prevent hydrolock) into the intake manifold via the PCV inlet- vacuum sucks it in & the cool cleaner hits the hot valves & de-carbons them.

On the Mitsu 2.0 turbo (if "phantom knock" due to carbon buildup was the problem in the first place) the results are astonishing- it runs like a scalded cat... until it carbons up again after a few thousand miles.

I guess you can't really soak the crowns of horizontal pistons, so I suppose the procedure is simply performed with the engine running.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
MrED, yes the 44k is for the upper engine (intake) and is put in the gas tank. I have been using that product since the dealer use to have to put it in the tank themselves (by law) And that was in the late '80s. BG has many newer more specific solvent/cleaners now for what ailment the engine has. Brian

·
Registered
99' OB Ltd 2.5 SOHC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the first time I use this cleaning agent. The instruction state that to disconnect the vacuum line and spray half bottle into the head manifold after the engine was shutdown. Then start the engine and spray the rest and run the engine for a while. That's it. I couldn't find the vacuum line so I removed the air filter module and spray through the throttle valve. Is this right as I found there was no different before and after?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts