Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks.
Do you have any opinion regarding safe carwash type which won't hurt car finish in the long run. What is it, brushless with soft cloths, touchless or other?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,019 Posts
Hello folks.
Do you have any opinion regarding safe carwash type which won't hurt car finish in the long run. What is it, brushless with soft cloths, touchless or other?
...I won't take any of our cars through a wash that has something that touches the car. You don't know what is caught up in those things...dragging it across your car is only asking for trouble. Brushless is good, it gets a lot of the dirt off but you still need to give your car a rub while you wash. A bucket of clean water and a soap dispensor is what I use. Rinse off the loose dirt, soap it up section at a time, and then wash it while rinsing your rags in the clean water. Works for me.

:2cents: FWIW

·
Registered
2010 2.5 Ltd. 2009 OBS
138 Posts
i use the local self-wash carwash that has pressurized hot water.
i don't know how good it will be for the long run but it sure does get it clean.
I pay $3 to get it washed and dry it myself.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
It all depends on the car wash. If it's a fully automated wash with brushes don't do it. You have no way of knowing what was on whatever went through earlier in the day.

Typically car washes with attendants that give it a good power washing to get off all the debris that can scratch your paint are okay as they usually won't allow a car covered in mud to go through.

I don't do touch free because your car usually doesn't come out clean. If you don't have a good option nearby, grab a hose and bucket.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,019 Posts
It all depends on the car wash. If it's a fully automated wash with brushes don't do it. You have no way of knowing what was on whatever went through earlier in the day.
...didn't I just say that...lol...

·
Registered
2007 outback 2.5i
271 Posts
if you really, really want to protect your finish you'll use neither, although the touchless is a probably wee bit better. the chemicals in the pre-soak can be pretty strong.

all that said, there was a time when i would spend a good 8 hours doing a wash, clay, polish & wax.

these days, if i'm feeling lazy i run it through the automatic (with scrubby things), then drive home and wipe down the car with wax-as-u-dry and a microfiber towel.

i'm not nearly as fussy as i used to be. car still gets a good hand detailing 3~4 times a year, but not every month like it used to.

paint still looks decent.

:D

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Strictly DIY, soft mit, water, car wash soap and a Sprite towel.
I'd rather leave it dirty than use an automatic car wash.
I bond with a car when i'm washing it.
A brush car wash will do this to the paint.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 Limited; twilight blue metalic with off black leather interior, back seat & bumper protectors; Born July 27, 2012; First Subie.
21 Posts
Hmm, I wonder what the dealer uses. I was there today and they asked if I would like it washed... Hmmmm... :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts