Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Closing in on final price for 2022 Touring 2.5i . Dealer wants to add a "Safe-Key" fee which is basically insurance for lost key fob, includes lock out service ... Cost is $349. This certainly could be considered a dealer "junk fee" but is not totally without some value.

Anyone tried to bargain for reduced cost & if so, how did that go?.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would check your insurance policy. My vehicle insurance covers lock out service. It doesn't cover lost key.

In my 50 years of driving motorcycles, trucks, sport cars, I have never lost a key. Misplaced for a bit, but never lost.:LOL:

Not sure if it would be worth it for me paying $349.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
1,175 Posts
That’s like the price of a new key. Create a tailgate pin in case you lose the fob and save the cash.

Reactions: TheNick and tehelmo

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Likewise misplaced many a time, never lost one -- so far!

I emailed my insurance agent already.

Tailgate pin -- that's a new one to me - I'll bite. How do you create a tailgate pin?

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,589 Posts
I emailed my insurance agent already.

Tailgate pin -- that's a new one to me - I'll bite. How do you create a tailgate pin?
Look it up in your manual. I believe there is a youtube video as well.

Reactions: jes2

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,252 Posts
Never lost a key in my life.

For my current 2008 OB, I still have the two original keys in good working order; only one is used though - second one is a "just in case" spare that is safely stashed away.

I'll take my chances, I think.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
IMO with such add on insurances or warranties, the devil is in the details.
Is it only good at the store where you buy it? How do you prove your loss? How fast do they settle the claim?
Replaced with genuine parts? What's your final cost w/wo? etc.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,647 Posts
Subaru Equity Shield does offer a key protection/replacement program and it is 100% legitimate. If it is not that which you are being offered I would not buy it. Only products and programs backed by Subaru are worth considering for purchase.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,261 Posts
If the type of loss that you want to be protected from is mainly misplacement of the fob, attach one/some of those gizmos that chirp when you need to find the misplaced item? If you've never experienced the situation that the insurance is for, it's not worth it IMO. I know I would not take it.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,389 Posts
Closing in on final price for 2022 Touring 2.5i . Dealer wants to add a "Safe-Key" fee which is basically insurance for lost key fob, includes lock out service ... Cost is $349. This certainly could be considered a dealer "junk fee" but is not totally without some value.

Not sure but lockout service likely has zero value. Leaving the FOB in the car it will let you know and prevent locking the entries. You can purchase a FOB and have it programed, then wrap it in conductive foil and hide it in the vehicle. The tailgate pin can then get you in the vehicle to acquire the FOB. Much easier than contacting the dealer for an emergency FOB delivery.
In other words, this dealer option has no value to the customer.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I agree with the others in that I cannot remember ever losing a key ... In my opinion, in my life, it's not worth paying $349 for peace of mind for something that's not likely to happen.

I would look at your habits & then decide if you always lose your keys, then it would pay for itself unless there is a clause that you can only use it once or twice.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
221 Posts
There are very few, if any, third party add-on services that I even consider. I've yet to see one that didn't try to slither their way out a claim any way they could. Last one I heard about was an extended warranty claim for a failed transmission (on a Subaru) being denied because even though the owner replaced the cabin air filter, he didn't keep the receipt for it, and therefor couldn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that ALL the maintenance on the car was up to date and done properly.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
187 Posts

why not just use the app to unlock? if you are worried about losing a fob attach this to it

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,854 Posts
then wrap it in conductive foil and hide it in the vehicle
Why do that when you can just temporarily disable the fob? My secondary fob is disabled on the bookshelf at home, but I could just as easily toss it in the glovebox in case I lose the one in my pocket (I have the tailgate PIN set).

FYI - the video earlier in this thread showing how to set the tailgate PIN also notes disabling the fob...

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,389 Posts
Why do that when you can just temporarily disable the fob? My secondary fob is disabled on the bookshelf at home, but I could just as easily toss it in the glovebox in case I lose the one in my pocket (I have the tailgate PIN set).

FYI - the video earlier in this thread showing how to set the tailgate PIN also notes disabling the fob...
My FOB easily gets unlocked when bouncing around. So, I was thinking an unsecured FOB in the vehicle could get jostled about resulting in activation. If this happens, then one would not be able to lock the door with another FOB. Not recalling there is another FOB in the vehicle and that it could have accidentally been activated could easily cause avoidable concern. One of my vehicle's drivers would never think to check the status of the hidden FOB. In the end, it is your choice not to wrap it.

·
Registered
2020 Outback 2.5i Premium
140 Posts
My OB came with 3 keys. I didn't feel the need to pay for a 4th.

A new "key'ed" remote is around $90. A new "smart" remote is around $130. $60 to program. You gotta be really bad with keys to use all $350 of that replacement key plan.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,421 Posts
3 keys?

Reactions: jes2 and lidksmy
1 - 20 of 33 Posts