Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback 2.5i Premium
155 Posts
The non-smart keys....the ones with the metal keys, and still has the door lock, gate button do not have a security chip. You can go to the hardware store and get one cut for $10.

I'd get a key cut, then run the head off on a grinder, until it fit snug, sideways inside a credit card slot in my wallet.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
1,250 Posts
The non-smart keys....the ones with the metal keys, and still has the door lock, gate button do not have a security chip. You can go to the hardware store and get one cut for $10.

I'd get a key cut, then run the head off on a grinder, until it fit snug, sideways inside a credit card slot in my wallet.
Glasses Jacket Car Window Vehicle

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for the great suggestions everyone. Like most of us, I have never lost a FOB either. I found out that that my Safeco Auto policy covers it with no deductible. Told the dealer to scrub that fee, he complied without a quibble.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx Edition XT
283 Posts
I have learned that essentially all dealers are dishonest. They will add as many fees they can. So, the price you negotiate is then added to. I only negotiate on the taxable total of the car. In states with no sales tax this is difficult. When we are doing the paper work I use a calculator, a smart phone in my case, and use the actual tax amount to arrive at the taxable total. Here in Florida the state tax is separated from the County tax in a different line item. If that line item shows $6,000 then the price you are paying for the car is $100,000. $6,000/.06= $100,000. I am upfront with the dealer that I only negotiate on the taxable total of the car, because, that is what the state considers the price of the car. Suppose I negotiate the price of a new Outback at $35,000. The tax shown on the paper work is $2,129.94. I do the calculation. $2,129.94/.06=$35,499. I then say sorry the numbers don’t lie, you are being dishonest, and then I leave and won’t buy the car from them.

BTW, here in Florida we have the highest “dealer fees” in the country.

In Louisville KY there is a Mazda dealer that adds a part that makes the brake lights blink when you hit the brake. It is a $20 part that adds like $500 to the price of every vehicle. That amount is non-negotiable. That Mazda dealer I would never go to, they are dishonest.

As far as the key situation. The physical key doesn’t always open the door. The dealer says this is normal, they couldn’t find anything wrong with the lock. So, when the car is locked and running. Breaking the glass is the only entry method available sometimes. The key which is hard to turn anyway when inserted will not unlock the door. I have been locked out of my car engine and A/C running with my dog inside the car. The key fob in my hand. Dog tested, dog not approved. My Chrysler mini van took this one step further and although getting back in the car is as easy as pressing the unlock button, unlike the Subaru. If you get stuck somehow at a rest area, like you get injured or have a heart attack, your dog will be allowed to live only for a specific time, because the car and A/C Automatically shut off after specific period of time.

So unlike Tesla which specifically provides a safe environment for your dog, most auto makers prefer you to euthanize your pet before your next long trip. They clearly do not want you traveling with a dog inside the vehicle since they apparently seem to do everything possible to kill it. They go out of their way to help assure your dog will die in a hot car. The simple fact that they make it hard to lock the car while it’s running tells the whole story. At least with children you are allowed to take them with you into the rest area or store. Dog tested, dog dead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Assuming a new key fob would cost up to $349 (not sure), wouldn't it make more sense to wait until you actually use/destroy the one(s) they give you with the car and then shell out the cash to replace? Why would you pay the full (more?) cost of replacing an item before you actually need to? Would you pay the full cost of your house to insure it?

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
3,019 Posts
actually use/destroy the one(s)
DO NOT wait until both are destroyed. It might have been here, it might have been regarding another vehicle, but I read someplace that if both keys are lost or destroyed there is no choice but to ship modules to the vehicle manufacturer for re-programming, not even the dealer can do it.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
222 Posts
DO NOT wait until both are destroyed. It might have been here, it might have been regarding another vehicle, but I read someplace that if both keys are lost or destroyed there is no choice but to ship modules to the vehicle manufacturer for re-programming, not even the dealer can do it.
I know this is true for some older vehicles, such as my 98 Wrangler, where one active key was required to delete or add another. Without it, you have to replace and program a new module. That said, I'd be surprised if this was still true with how advanced many of the systems in modern cars are, and how advanced diagnostics and even remote start can be performed without even plugging into the OBDII port. Would love to know for sure though if anyone has been through this before.

·
Registered
2020 Outback 2.5i Premium
155 Posts
How many keys are they giving the customer with the purchase of a 2022 model? I know that Honda only provides one key (COVID microchip shortage), and will mail you another key when they can get it in. The dealerships are certainly taking advantage of pushing a similar "key insurance plan", when they only hand you one key and scare you into buying something from them.

I got three keys with my 2020, when I bought it Pre-COVID.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited and 2015 Forester Limited
378 Posts
Closing in on final price for 2022 Touring 2.5i . Dealer wants to add a "Safe-Key" fee which is basically insurance for lost key fob, includes lock out service ... Cost is $349. This certainly could be considered a dealer "junk fee" but is not totally without some value.

Anyone tried to bargain for reduced cost & if so, how did that go?.
I consider this add on fee something link an insurance policy against key loss. I usually choose to self insure against a key loss or key destruction by being willing to pay the required cost should that become necessary. In over 50 years of auto ownership I have never lost a key. So far I'm ahead.

Oh, I have managed to leave a key fob in my pants pocket when that key went into the wash machine, but so far the key fobs still work.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,552 Posts
I know that Honda only provides one key (COVID microchip shortage), and will mail you another key when they can get it in. The dealerships are certainly taking advantage of pushing a similar "key insurance plan", when they only hand you one key and scare you into buying something from them.
I wouldn't fall for it. A few calls at midnight to their home phone saying "I need a lockout service" ought to do the trick, I would think .... :devilish:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts