Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Well I blew a tire on my 2010 OB 2.5 on the way home from work, I put my doughnut on and drove carefully home under 80km.

The only tires I have immediately are my winter set, I put only one on.

3 all seasons are 225/60R17 (Continental ProContact 98T)
Winter is 215/65R16

Am I going to cause any damage to the AWD system Or CVT driving with an odd sized tire for a week? I travel about 80km per day.

Thanks

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,648 Posts
Not recommended!! You may destroy the AWD system permanently. (Heck, you are not even supposed to replace one tire with SAME SIZE if the others are worn)

The AWD system uses wheel-speed sensors to monitor things. When one tire is different size, the AWD system kicks in and tries to 'fix' the issue. This includes applying brakes to individual wheels, controlling engine characteristics or xMission shifting.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
51 Posts
And to further the point about being picky on tires. You are going to wear 1 of 4 winters and misalign that setup as well if you go much. Really just put the 4 winters in for a week and get it fixed and move em back to be safe.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,356 Posts
No no no no no no no no no!!!!

Reactions: SomeITGuy

·
Registered
335 Posts
And to further the point about being picky on tires. You are going to wear 1 of 4 winters and misalign that setup as well if you go much. Really just put the 4 winters in for a week and get it fixed and move em back to be safe.
Under the circumstances, this is the wise option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, I will replace remaining three with the winter tires tomorrow.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,945 Posts
if the 3 you have remaining are still in great shape.

you can get a new contiential pro contact and have it shaved down to match. (BIG chain tire shops have the tool/ machines to do that).

this makes subaru AWD happy (= same tread, same diameter).

snow tires typically want to wear fast when it is above 50 F, = 10C,

...so you may not want to just drive on the snows if the air temps are hotter than that. (like from now to when you actually want the snows on).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if the 3 you have remaining are still in great shape.

you can get a new contiential pro contact and have it shaved down to match. (BIG chain tire shops have the tool/ machines to do that).

this makes subaru AWD happy (= same tread, same diameter).

snow tires typically want to wear fast when it is above 50 F, = 10C,

...so you may not want to just drive on the snows if the air temps are hotter than that. (like from now to when you actually want the snows on).
My existing tires have about 70% tread still, do you think shaving is a big concern for that difference when I get a new tire? I didn't even know that was a thing until you mentioned it haha

I don't plan on driving with the winters on for long, I'm going to get them off as quick as I can.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,945 Posts
My existing tires have about 70% tread still, do you think shaving is a big concern for that difference when I get a new tire? I didn't even know that was a thing until you mentioned it haha

I don't plan on driving with the winters on for long, I'm going to get them off as quick as I can.

yep, shave a new one, if you don't you will be going from one odd little snow on there to one odd bigger diameter one.
and subaru AWD don't like that either.

alternative is: sell or give the 3 you got to 2wd people. and you buy 4 new. so they all match ...

but 70% tread sounds like keepers espcially with snows on rims to make the 3 season tires last a long time.

(I can keep my 3 season tires a lot longer, I keep saying I am going to buy a new set of michelin premiers,...some day, but then I just keep driving on the same old primacys, as the new studded tires are waiting on their own rims ).

______

some big online places shave tires and ship them to you, (if you don't like the big local chains)

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
1. Get 4 new tires.
2. have one shaved . Tire rack used to do it - or call around and maybe try some specialty places like race or custom shops.
3. buy a used one - that you can verify is relatively new (age degrades materials, dont' get old tires), and similar tread depth.

Given the wear of the tires the 16" tire may have been nearly identical circumference, within limits, or benign to begin with.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,969 Posts
Not recommended!! You may destroy the AWD system permanently. (Heck, you are not even supposed to replace one tire with SAME SIZE if the others are worn)

The AWD system uses wheel-speed sensors to monitor things. When one tire is different size, the AWD system kicks in and tries to 'fix' the issue. This includes applying brakes to individual wheels, controlling engine characteristics or xMission shifting.
^^^what he said...

·
Registered
2016 Outback Slate Gray 3.6R Limited w/ Eyesight
50 Posts
The maximum tire difference you can go between one tire and the rest is 2/32nds. For reference the little wear indicator bumps are usually 2/32nds. I got a flat in my old 2003 outback and the shop wouldnt put the new tire on because the difference between the old tires and the new one was 3/32nds. they mounted the new tire and left the doughnut on. i swapped the new tire myself then promptly proceeded to do snow doughnuts to wear the tire out back into spec. Never had drivetrain issues on that vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts