Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has been discussed before. But I couldn't find a post on it.

I have one issue with my new 2013 OB 3.6R Limited with the nav, backup camera and bluetooth once your phone has been connected. I'm not a safety expert but I'm wondering if this is a SERIOUS safety issue.

After you have your phone paired with the system, and you later start your car and immediately put the car into reverse to start backing up. A few seconds later, a huge black box appears on the nav screen indicating the status of your cell phone connection with Bluetooth.

IVMHO, the black box is far too big. If something small--like say a young child should suddenly dart across or stop behind your car while the black box is being displayed, you might not see them. :gasp:

I can't find a settings menu option to turn this off. Hope there is one.

If not, who on earth would program something as inane like that? :mad: How hard is to program something like, if the backup camera is being used, then delay showing the status of your cell phone's connection until the car is out of reverse.

Serious SAFETY fail, IMVHO. :28: This should be addressed ASAP.

Besides bringing this to my dealer's and Subaru's attention, any other places where I can lodge a complaint on this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I guess it is a subliminal message you should not be distracted by the phone while backing up.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I don't like it appearing either but it is just momentary so I just wait maybe 3 secs and go about my business.
Not sure any software will correct that. I disabled what I could under the "INFO" section to not notify me that the phone is paired but that is about as far as I could go.

If someone does know if the dealer is able to delete this notice I am sure a number of us will ask them to do so.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do. :) But once you are in the car--like in your garage--you have limits.

Still feel something for the convenience of cell phones should not in any way possibly compromise safety.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Precisely!
fun2 has the wait-3-secs response.<O:p</O:p
Connection with the… disconnect’. Never mind the grammar to begin with, but I bet it’s code for… ‘Get off the phone’. It’s an SOA Legal Dept screen block thing.

·
Registered
573 Posts
OMG, how did people ever drive without back-up cameras or beepers?!

Shutup and drive. How about that option?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
How hard is to program something like, if the backup camera is being used, then delay showing the status of your cell phone's connection until the car is out of reverse.
How hard is to wait a few seconds for the message to disappear?

Could it be fixed? Sure. Should it be fixed? Probably so. Make the box smaller and just across the top, so most of the viewable area is.. viewable.

But, if you're really that worried about safety, just wait until the box goes away. Unsafe situation averted.

You might also send a comment to SOA with your suggestion. Maybe they'll implement it in some future release. I wouldn't put ANY amount of money on them "updating" what's already on the streets and dealership lots, though.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Precisely!
fun2 has the wait-3-secs response.<o:p</o
Connection with the… disconnect’. Never mind the grammar to begin with, but I bet it’s code for… ‘Get off the phone’. It’s an SOA Legal Dept screen block thing.
Exactly

·
Registered
832 Posts
In our OB we are a little slower, and with the aftermarket nav it doesn't give any notification that the phone is linked. Maybe a few moments of time when you first start the car to let everything link up before you put it in reverse.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
After you have your phone paired with the system, and you later start your car and immediately put the car into reverse to start backing up. A few seconds later, a huge black box appears on the nav screen indicating the status of your cell phone connection with Bluetooth.
When you say "immediately", how long are we talking? Are you saying you start the engine and move your hand directly from the key to the shifter? If so, that's not good for the vehicle, even if it's "warm". I suggest starting the engine then buckling your seatbelt, that gives it a few seconds anyway. What I often do in the morning is start the engine then go to the back door to put my computer bag in back, gives a few seconds of warmup time but I still wait until the idle starts dropping before putting it in gear. This should give that box more than enough time to clear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i use those 3 seconds to rev up the engine, so when the box disappears, I can release the clutch and launch my car out of the garage with a good screech of the wheels. Yay!

I don't like it appearing either but it is just momentary so I just wait maybe 3 secs and go about my business.
Not sure any software will correct that. I disabled what I could under the "INFO" section to not notify me that the phone is paired but that is about as far as I could go.

If someone does know if the dealer is able to delete this notice I am sure a number of us will ask them to do so.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i use those 3 seconds to rev up the engine, so when the box disappears, I can release the clutch and launch my car out of the garage with a good screech of the wheels. Yay!

Made me spit out my water. LOL :29:

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
It's a setting you can change. I stumbled across a thread that mentioned it the other day.

Can't tell you which is more painful- trying to find the setting, or using the forum search tool to find the post describing the fix.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OMG, how did people ever drive without back-up cameras or beepers?!

Shutup and drive. How about that option?
Hardly funny . . .

Wonder if people heard the same thing when rear view mirrors were added or seat belts or airbags . . .

You are given a safety tool and you begin to use it as part of your desire to be a safe, good driver and not get in an accident or hit someone. That's the goal of a tool--to improve things and to be used.

Then bring up something you feel has a safety issue, you get slammed by a cheap, "cute" quote when you do.

Let's just be civil and agree to disagree.

When backing up, one can use all the tools available to you--the camera, the rear view mirrors, and twisting your body to look around also. One should obviously not rely on just one. Sorry, I just prefer them all to be 100% functional.

Gee, maybe we should have the message pop on the rear view mirrors also to be sure it's not missed . . .

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When you say "immediately", how long are we talking? Are you saying you start the engine and move your hand directly from the key to the shifter? If so, that's not good for the vehicle, even if it's "warm". I suggest starting the engine then buckling your seatbelt, that gives it a few seconds anyway. What I often do in the morning is start the engine then go to the back door to put my computer bag in back, gives a few seconds of warmup time but I still wait until the idle starts dropping before putting it in gear. This should give that box more than enough time to clear.
When you've been driving all day and starting and stopping at places. The engine is already warm.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's a setting you can change. I stumbled across a thread that mentioned it the other day.

Can't tell you which is more painful- trying to find the setting, or using the forum search tool to find the post describing the fix.
I thought I found it and changed it but it didn't work.

Yeah, it was tough finding . . .

The whole nav/audio interface should get redesigned in the future by someone who spent some time in UI training and who believes in the KISS principle.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
34 Participants
coquioutback
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing