Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Several Outbacks, Mercedes G500, 96 993Cab, 88 911 Targa
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did major search with over 20 dealers and best price for sure is right here in Chicago area. Don't get caught up in "Invoice" pricing; it is just another number created from fairy dust and it is for suckers. There are at least 2 dealer hold backs, as well as volume discounts---go for TOTAL PERCENTAGE UNDER MSRP. Also here in Illinois they don't have all the egregious 599 dealer fees....pure profit; reducing true discount. I just got 12 percent off MSRP on an 18 Premium and 10.5 to 12 is what they are doing all day long if you work them hard enough. And 0 financing No trade.

I also believe the two best setups are the Premium 2.5i (that way you get the fog lights and leather wheel, not plastic steering wheel, a couple more speakers and 8 inch info screen,and a few more) or 3.6R limited...

Order the 2.5 premium with ONLY the options you want because even the Popular package at 800 is way inflated for floor mats, 7 dollar LED bulbs for 99 exc....for example, you can buy the rear bumper cover for 60 bucks at suburu online parts or where ever and it sticks on with supplied tape in 30 seconds---also, the homelink mirror is super easy 10 minute job to install too---two screws in the sun glass area and the plug is right there---all the wiring harnesses are the same.

Does it makes any sense to get a 2.5 Touring at all?---it lists for 38 when you can go for a base 3.6 limited if want more car and has a lower 37k sticker? That's a lot for "Java" colored leather in a 4 cylinder that you could buy for 25 grand and is the exact same car essentially. Also it is hauling around all those unnecessary options with the 4 cyl Touring that only weigh (slow) the car down that much more. 95 percent of the people will like the standard roof rack just fine---it works great. All profit. Also are all the electronic option nannies necessary for a tool car?; Probably not...more money in dealer profit and out of yours
I have other cars that are serious luxury vehicles---the outback is the perfect tool car--don't waste money optioning it out of its value and practicality range....it is perfect the way it is. It should be a mid 20s car with 4 and low 30s out door with 6 cyl.

Also your best price won't be from the internet auto responses; these are info gatherers on you, that have no pull---you need to get a manager on the line.

Hope this helps someone and saves them a lot of time.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's how I felt before buying a '18 Premium 2.5

By the time you get the price for the 2.5's above the Premium (Limited, Touring) might as well get the 3.6 though I suppose one could factor in total cost of ownership over 10 years and include in cheaper insurance, gas savings, maint, etc. and come up with what is in effect a borderline substantial lower overall price.

·
Registered
Several Outbacks, Mercedes G500, 96 993Cab, 88 911 Targa
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's how I felt before buying a '18 Premium 2.5

By the time you get the price for the 2.5's above the Premium (Limited, Touring) might as well get the 3.6 though I suppose one could factor in total cost of ownership over 10 years and include in cheaper insurance, gas savings, maint, etc. and come up with what is in effect a borderline substantial lower overall price.
fair point

1 - 3 of 3 Posts