Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey 4 cyl
254 Posts
What shortage? Just checked one of dealers in my area. They show 56 OB's in stock,
1 base, 14 limited, 3 limited xt, 4 onyx, 26 premium, 4 touring and 4 touring xt's.

Other dealers in my area have similar quantities and trim levels. There is no shortage, nor would I expect one based on the March sales figures. They are sitting on the lots collecting dust.
If there is anything short around here, its me

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What shortage? Just checked one of dealers in my area. They show 56 OB's in stock,
1 base, 14 limited, 3 limited xt, 4 onyx, 26 premium, 4 touring and 4 touring xt's.

Other dealers in my area have similar quantities and trim levels. There is no shortage, nor would I expect one based on the March sales figures. They are sitting on the lots collecting dust.
Shortage is not likely the right word. What I meant to say was impacted slaes. Dealers are closing/closed in my area as the are considered non-esential. I'm sure that's not isolated.

·
Registered
20 Outback Limited XT 13 Outback 3.6R Limited
150 Posts

If you're using the dealer website to check inventory, it's highly suspect. When I went shopping for a Limited XT in November, dealer website showed about 4. When I went to the dealer, my salesman said no Limited XTs in stock. I asked about the website. His explanation was that because of bank rules, they could not take cars off the website until they closed the deal and got paid. Apparently at one time, there were games going on with inventory at some dealers and fraud as far as sales and payments to the banks. This is the third Outback I've bought from him, and he's always been a straight shooter, so no reason to doubt what he told me. All the ones listed were already sold, but not closed on. Sure enough, when my car came in early, it showed up briefly on the website a few days after I picked it up, confirmed by checking the VIN. It looks like most Subaru dealers use the same templated website that is provided by Subaru. I wouldn't trust it for accurate inventory.

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
166 Posts
Sales showroom is closed here for all the dealers. Service dept. is open. Poor sales guys are home watching TV. I bought my car in late Feb. 2020. Arguably I am one of the last 10 customers.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
If you're using the dealer website to check inventory, it's highly suspect.
While out picking up dinner your response made me drive around the dealer's lot. Nothing suspect about this dealer's web site's numbers. Showrooms here are pretty much closed so some cars may be in limbo but the web numbers seem pretty accurate.

Any reports of shortage is more fake news.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,785 Posts
In my experience Subaru tries to allocate at least a 30 day supply of vehicles to every dealership, every month. So every dealership should at least be able to have a decent new vehicle inventory through the end of April. If the sales department is still open they will likely be selling fewer vehicles this month so I doubt anyone will be confronted with a shortage of inventory except perhaps on a specific model or maybe two.

·
Registered
229 Posts
In my experience in Subaru sales since the introduction of the Touring trim in model year 2017 the Limited and Touring trim have always been in highest demand. I don't know how that translates into sales figures compared to Premium and Base trims (I know the Premium is a consistently good selling trim). The standard 2.5L engine sold in excess of 90% of Gen 5 Outbacks and I presume to think that is s likely the same in model year 2020. I was surprised by how many Outback XT models were produced and made available for the first month after the 2020 Outback launch.
My Touring XT was built in Jan2020, so at least the headlight issue was corrected.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts