Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback H6 - 3.0 LL Bean
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update: My replacement CV axle came in. I managed to limp Cindy Lou the Subaru one block to the mechanic without killing myself or anyone else. I'm happy to be driving again. Having no ride to get around is rough. I got plenty of walking in this week. I managed to shed a few pounds in advance of Thanksgiving.

The mechanic did the job for a reasonable price. More importantly, he noticed a few things I had overlooked. It turns out my lower control arm bushings are worn out in the front. I'm going to be buying replacement front lower control arms for the front driver side and passenger side.

Do y'all think I should go ahead and get replacement ball joints while I'm at it. I figure that all those parts are going to be wearing out soon enough. What do you think? Is it good to just do both at the same time, or should I avoid fixing what's not broken?

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback H6 - 3.0 LL Bean
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I know some lca assemblys already have the ball joints. Where are you getting them from?
I was just looking on Rock Auto unless you have a better suggestion.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Auto
404 Posts
I got my Dorman ones with ball joints from Amazon. I have Prime, so free delivery helped with the pricing there.

There's a reasonable chance that your ball joints are pretty heavily stuck into the knuckles. That's probably a job for the mechanic to sort out - I ended up changing out my knuckles since the ball joints were so heavily stuck, but someone who's more experienced than me, and working on a lift rather than jack stands can probably make it work. Since you need to remove the sway bar links to do that job, and those can be difficult as well, it's not a bad time to change those out as well (it'll add maybe 15 minutes and $30 in parts).

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a good chance that the ball joint would be damaged when removing the LCA.

I went with these ball joints from Amazon:

I had bought a set of relatively inexpensive ball joints from RockAuto and ended up returning them. Since I did the work myself and experiencing how difficult it was to remove them from the knuckles, I did not want to invest in some low cost parts and having them fail in a few months and going through the painful replacement process all over again.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts