Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 | Eyesight | Magnetite Grey
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I bought my 2018 Outback in Magnetite Grey today. Of all the new cars I've purchased, this one was the worst experience. We have been emailing our sales rep this week and have had most of the details nailed down. We were wanting a 2018 Premium with Option 14 and Popular package #1 in Grey. Sales guy a few days ago sends a video that says it has everything we want! Yay! So Saturday, we arrange a baby sitter (kids 2 and 5) We get there and it has Option 14 and everything in package 1 except the floor-mats and LED upgrade. Ok, I say, I can live with those, swap em out later maybe. Ok, great, price is already figured out etc. Then we find out that they won't allow us to put the entire down payment on a credit card, and we have no checks with us, but we can swing a check by Monday.
Then there is a little backup for finance. 2.5 hours later, we are next in line for finance, but we have to leave and go get the kids an hour away because the babysitter has to go to her other job. Figured we'd get the checkbook while were there and save the trip monday. Get back, get into financing. Kids are being a distraction as small kids do, and we are working through the different things that they want to sell. We were talking about the warranty and I balked at the price, so he "reworked" it. I asked what he changed, and he says I took out the windshield coverage and paintless dent repair. It wasn't until it was printed and signed that the wife noticed that there was now a 100$ deductible as well. It was very rushed. About this time they came in to get the downpayments, so we handed them the card for that part, it ran and I have receipt. Then the check that we used declined for some unknown reason. I showed him my bank app/ confirmed with the bank etc. Bank says no attempt was made to withdraw the cash/check balance etc. So as it stands right now, they have a bunch of signatures and 1/4 of a deposit. They let me take the car with a "Borrowed Vehicle Agreement" and absolutely no paperwork.

I'm not really sure how to handle this! Is it reasonable to ask to redo financing so that we can ask more questions and fix that deductible and glass coverage, or are we stuck with it like it is?

All I wanted to do was buy a car, and get out there and enjoy it. :(

(Then on top of everything else, the radio got stuck controlling "map volume" so I couldn't even rock out on the way home, but the forum helped me fix it!)

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
I also found the financing experience lacking and the head unit of the 2018 to be easily the buggiest system I've ever used in a car. My sympathies to you.

I think you should be able to fix it, since paperwork hasn't been run, but who knows. There are some folks better qualified than I to comment on whether you can get things fixed!

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
This sounds like a jumbled mess.

You put yourself in potentially a greatly-weakened legal and bargaining position by driving home the car, as that would quite likely constitute accepting the terms of the sale and recognizing the car in its condition was considered good in your eyes.

Laws vary from state to state: some have a cooling off period where you can undo the sale by returning the car/merchandise within 3 days or the like, but Washington state, for example, does not: once you've taken delivery of the car, you've legally committed to that transaction.

You may very well need to see a lawyer for this, I can't say.

Be sure you've got paper copies of all paperwork; if you didn't do that before you left, that was a major mistake.

Reactions: r3ds4nd

·
Registered
2019 3.6R Touring Edition - Crystal White Pearl
158 Posts
I'm confused. When I write a check, it usually takes several days for the recipient to deposit it and for the check to clear. How is it that the check failed to clear when you were sitting with the finance officer? Shouldn't they have just taken your check and deposited it at the end of the day?

I hate dealing with the finance officer at the dealership. After haggling with the salesman and finally agreeing on a price, now you're stuck dealing with another person who is pressuring you to buy additional items you probably don't even want. Their job is to make you feel guilty about neglecting your brand new vehicle by not buying their additional items. The worst one, by far, is the "paint protection" for a couple hundred bucks. I bought a bottle of the stuff on eBay for about $25 and applied it myself.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,210 Posts
Those are the days of yore! Checks can be cashed in an instant electronically now. Some don't even need a hard copy of the check...just a scan. Many grocery stores now have a scanner for checks...you hand them a blank check,they run it through the scanner and enter the amount, then hand the check back to you.

I'm confused. When I write a check, it usually takes several days for the recipient to deposit it and for the check to clear. How is it that the check failed to clear when you were sitting with the finance officer? Shouldn't they have just taken your check and deposited it at the end of the day?

I hate dealing with the finance officer at the dealership. After haggling with the salesman and finally agreeing on a price, now you're stuck dealing with another person who is pressuring you to buy additional items you probably don't even want. Their job is to make you feel guilty about neglecting your brand new vehicle by not buying their additional items. The worst one, by far, is the "paint protection" for a couple hundred bucks. I bought a bottle of the stuff on eBay for about $25 and applied it myself.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
508 Posts
Depends on your state.

What does the BVA say? Its a 'borrowed' vehicle, not sold. Deal isn't done until the paperwork is.

Also most states have a law where you can change your mind within like 72 hours.

Start looking at state laws. Prepare for battle tomorrow.

·
Registered
2019 3.6R Touring Edition - Crystal White Pearl
158 Posts
Those are the days of yore! Checks can be cashed in an instant electronically now. Some don't even need a hard copy of the check...just a scan. Many grocery stores now have a scanner for checks...you hand them a blank check,they run it through the scanner and enter the amount, then hand the check back to you.
I'm just old, I guess. That, plus the fact that I only write about 10 checks per year...

Re-reading the original post, it still seems odd that the check got rejected when the bank confirmed that no attempt was even made to check the balance or withdraw funds. The bank would surely know, if they declined the check. Sure sounds like there was a mistake on either the dealer's or bank's side - I would have asked the finance officer to run the check through again, especially if I knew that I had the funds available to cover the check.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
508 Posts
What is the $100 deductible? Did they sell you insurance too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Extended warranty no doubt. Sounds like the finance guy 'forgot' the deductible. He clearly saw they were distracted and rushed (like most buyers) and took advantage.

Read everything. Twice. Be annoyingly slow. Learn to say no to everything. Shop the warranty if you want it. Buy nothing else. Any adds like ESC's and warranties, you can almost always buy any time before 10K on the odometer.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Paint protection, fabric protection, non-Subaru warranties, dealer fees are all ways to make extra money for the dealer. Probably the reason I don't like buying new cars or cars from dealers.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
345 Posts
Paint protection, fabric protection, non-Subaru warranties, dealer fees are all ways to make extra money for the dealer. Probably the reason I don't like buying new cars or cars from dealers.

Absolutely the best depiction of this ever was in the great 1996 movie FARGO, in the scene where "sales manager" Jerry Lundegaard (played by William H. Macy) fobs off unwanted undercoating to an unhappy customer during delivery of his new car. Unfortunately that's the way the world mostly sees dealers.

I will say my recent delivery of my 2018 Outback was much better than that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I knew I was gonna like this forum, you guys did not disappoint. Been lurking for a while, LOL. Yes, I'll fully own up to agreeing to those coverages, it was my frustration with the wait and the babysitter/kids situation that got me not thinking clearly. I might actually keep the warranty except it doesn't cover the windshield and has a deductible.

TheBlueSubaru: Definitely a jumbled mess. As soon as the check had an issue, finance guy folded everything into a folder and took off with it. They did not provide a copy of anything, would not re-run the check, or a different one, or speak with the rep from my bank who I had on the line. The BVA was signed as we were walking out, and a copy wasn't provided. I had never had an experience this bad at a dealership and I was definitely flustered. We've never bought an extended warranty, I'm usually the one that everyone has go with them to get through that part. I definitely wasn't thinking clearly.

Borsig: They didn't provide a copy of the BVA either. He definitely took advantage of the fact that we had both kids and they were being distracting.

As a first time Subie owner, I'll be very interested to see how they handle this. I'll report back.

Pessimist me fully expects that they'll say Nope, you agreed. It'll definitely leave a bad taste for the dealership, and by extension Subaru. I'll definitely warn others to be very careful of their finance office unless they work with me to make it right. Not bagging on them, as they are just trying to run a business, but from the other side know that they will try to take advantage. Optimist me says, hey at least it'll be covered.

I've read in a number of places that you can cancel these service contracts and get the money refunded (usually toward the debt). So that may end up being plan B.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Outback Limited no Eyesight
130 Posts
For the extended warranty, if it's a genuine Subaru Warranty, you can simply cancel it for a full refund. Then, come on here and search for the Subaru Gold Plus Warranty. You should be able to get a better price with zero deductable.

As far as the other paperwork, I'm surprised the dealer would actually let you drive away after you didn't come up with the down payment (in their eyes). That wouldn't happen at our dealership. I would insist that the paperwork be corrected. I would go and ask for the Dealership Manager and talk to him about your experience. The financing paperwork will have to be redone because the warranty is not what you want. They can throw in the mats and redo your paperwork to make it correct and acceptable to you.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
wait for them to ask for all 10's on the dealership survey. Maybe a little leverage?
I’d go so far as to intimate, “Hey, I know how important those dealership surveys are to you, what numbers do you think I’ll give you with these things missing, such as a full copy of all paperwork?”

They can get another customer.

You can get another dealership.

They can either bend over backwards to correct their insanity, or cut you loose so they (perhaps) don’t become subject to a survey: either way, I can’t see how you lose, just be sure to make it clear you’re giving them a chance, and it’s their survey and sale process to lose.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For the extended warranty, if it's a genuine Subaru Warranty, you can simply cancel it for a full refund. Then, come on here and search for the Subaru Gold Plus Warranty. You should be able to get a better price with zero deductable.

As far as the other paperwork, I'm surprised the dealer would actually let you drive away after you didn't come up with the down payment (in their eyes). That wouldn't happen at our dealership. I would insist that the paperwork be corrected. I would go and ask for the Dealership Manager and talk to him about your experience. The financing paperwork will have to be redone because the warranty is not what you want. They can throw in the mats and redo your paperwork to make it correct and acceptable to you.
I was surprised too, they didn't even give me the copy of my insurance that was faxed hours earlier either.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
Depends on your state.

What does the BVA say? Its a 'borrowed' vehicle, not sold. Deal isn't done until the paperwork is.

Also most states have a law where you can change your mind within like 72 hours.

Start looking at state laws. Prepare for battle tomorrow.
Some, not most.

The 72 hour right of rescission typically only applies when the salesman comes to YOUR place to do business, not the other way around.

And there's no need to prepare for a battle, other than just understanding the terms of the contract. We see the same thing here. For example, we only allow a maximum of $5,000 on credit cards, and prefer it to be no more than $3,000. Very seldom will we allow someone to actually purchase a car on a credit card. (That's because you could then dispute the charge later, not because we don't want to take credit cards.) You write a check, we run it through Tele-Chek and sometimes their system is down. Especially on a weekend, stuff happens. (For example, we have 11 sales staff and 3 finance people. On a busy Saturday, it's not uncommon for all 3 finance people to be here for 3 - 4 hours AFTER we 'close' because they're still working through the people waiting.)

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,297 Posts

They hammered my fiancee on this one. even specifically told them she didn't want it (I was there and heard it) and it wasn't until I got home that I realized when I called the insurance company to add the car to our policy that they still left it on there. It wasn't my car, and I didn't read the paperwork, but you can tell their finance people are trained to try and confuse people who aren't paying 100% detail to everything in getting them to sign up for things they didn't ask for. What, in my eyes, is even worse is that they have the paperwork (or at least through this dealer) pre-printed with that 699 paint-protection and then they "xxxx" it when you ask them to take it off. Not that I will ever run a car company, but I feel any franchise that started "secret shopping" these dealers and started dropping franchises for operating this way would be much more successful over the long term. The problem is people are way to short term focused, IMO. All that dealer ensured was that I would never do business with them again, via sales/service or otherwise. I'm sure they are happy they bilked that 699 out of someone not paying attention, though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some, not most.

The 72 hour right of rescission typically only applies when the salesman comes to YOUR place to do business, not the other way around.

And there's no need to prepare for a battle, other than just understanding the terms of the contract. We see the same thing here. For example, we only allow a maximum of $5,000 on credit cards, and prefer it to be no more than $3,000. Very seldom will we allow someone to actually purchase a car on a credit card. (That's because you could then dispute the charge later, not because we don't want to take credit cards.) You write a check, we run it through Tele-Chek and sometimes their system is down. Especially on a weekend, stuff happens. (For example, we have 11 sales staff and 3 finance people. On a busy Saturday, it's not uncommon for all 3 finance people to be here for 3 - 4 hours AFTER we 'close' because they're still working through the people waiting.)
I'm going to ask to remove the warranty, maintenance and tire protection when we get there tonight and we'll see what happens. If they don't take it off then I suppose I will just leave it on and then request a flat cancel of it from Subaru customer service.

It amazes me that any business would risk negative sentiment based off of Telechek with no way to work around it. My bank was on the line, they had access to my credit scores, and on top of everything else Telechek gets horrible reviews. I mean, who writes checks anymore? Lol

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,297 Posts
I'm going to ask to remove the warranty, maintenance and tire protection when we get there tonight and we'll see what happens. If they don't take it off then I suppose I will just leave it on and then request a flat cancel of it from Subaru customer service.

It amazes me that any business would risk negative sentiment based off of Telechek with no way to work around it. My bank was on the line, they had access to my credit scores, and on top of everything else Telechek gets horrible reviews. I mean, who writes checks anymore? Lol

No kidding. I don't even own a checkbook.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts