Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2.5 Outback, but then drove the new Hyundai model. Wow. 265+ hp and lots more torque than the OB. Trade off is that EPA is 27 highway, 23 combined. Has anyone else looked at these and gone one way or the other? At roughly the same price, it is a tough decision. The OB may have a better AWD system, don't know. I pull an 1800 lb trailer soMe, so that extra power looks appealing.

GenesisG70Forum.com - The Largest Hyundai Genesis G70 Forum, Community And Owner's Club

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I recall a very long thread on this a while back. Try search

I recall the Santa Fe riding very stiff and a number of parent company issues regarding backing their product when issues cropped up. I think there are several regular posters here who dumped their Korean built cars for their current Subaru and are very happy they did.

Use search I think you'll get a bunch of hits

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
good luck with a hyundai or any korean car. my wife had an '05 elantra, and when we traded it in '08, it was in worse shape than most 10+ year old cars. i see way too many of those **** cars break down, i could never consider anything other than a subaru.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will search again. I did find comparisons to the prior series, but this is a new version of the Santa Fe, with the new 2 liter turbo, and a lot of issues ironed out. Similar to the 4th generation OB.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I will search again. I did find comparisons to the prior series, but this is a new version of the Santa Fe, with the new 2 liter turbo, and a lot of issues ironed out. Similar to the 4th generation OB.
Only issue the 4gen of the OB fixed was the seating space especially rear seat spacing for kids car seats. In doing the major platform redesign it also allowed them to build the new platform to accept new drive systems like the CVT. The 09 OB sat on a platform that was designed back in the late 90's. It was too narrow and the wheel base prevented any type of easy fix to the seating space.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2.5 Outback, but then drove the new Hyundai model. Wow. 265+ hp and lots more torque than the OB. Trade off is that EPA is 27 highway, 23 combined. Has anyone else looked at these and gone one way or the other? At roughly the same price, it is a tough decision. The OB may have a better AWD system, don't know. I pull an 1800 lb trailer soMe, so that extra power looks appealing.
Best advice I have is "What ever trips your trigger". Many of us here (Subaru Forum) are die-hard Subaru fans. There are other cars that stack up nicely - some better than others. Review the forums, ride the cars, and then make a decision. HP/Torque is only one factor in the total equation. Good luck on your venture.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Good look car. Give a test drive and decide for yourself. We here on the forum decided the Outback was the winner.

You get a lot of cars for the money with Hyundai, which is why there are doing so well.

I would check resale value on Hyundai Santa Fe and see how well that stacks up against the Outback.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I can shed some light on this as I work at a hyundai dealer and my immediate family has owned 14 hyundais(4 santa fe's myself).

First of all, go on the hyundai forums. The Santa Fe's are having issues and I hear about them at work. It's stupid stuff for the most part, but I guess it should be expected with a new model.

Having owned 4 Santa Fe's people were wondering when/if I was going to trade my OB for a new one. I've driven plenty of new ones and while they are nice, they don't feel as well put together as the Outback. My 2011 Sonata was my last hyundai because I had so many issues with it. I traded that after 6 months and got my 2011 Outback.

My dad has a 12 Veloster and has had the radio and antenna replaced, a key fob remote replaced, and a new steering wheel because it peeled. My mom traded her 2003 Sonata for a 2012 Elantra and she wishes she never did it. The older hyundai's after 01 were put together so much better.

I am not saying stay away, I'm just saying do your research.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Test drove the Sante Fe and felt the engine was loud do to 2.0. Test drove the OB 3.6 and felt it was quiet, powerful and smoother.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Newer Korean cars are highly rated. You can't beat the warranty. The 2.0 just came out so the old posts won't help. This is the SANTA FE SPORT, not the Santa Fe.

I just saw one of the rags do a review and they touted it as one of the best from any maker. I have considered one for my daily. Hyundai makes very good vehicles and some of the most stylish. Things really turned for them around 2008 and they are on a tear now.

Test drove the Sante Fe and felt the engine was loud do to 2.0. Test drove the OB 3.6 and felt it was quiet, powerful and smoother.

Every review I read mentioned how quiet it was?? Only one I could find quickly.

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/reviews/driven-2013-hyundai-santa-fe-sport-20t-awd/

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hyundai and Kia both make excellent cars now (didn't used to be this way). I wouldn't mind driving one. However, resale value is the killer.

Main reason we got the OB is due to better AWD, more interior space/utility, better MPG, and resale value.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I traded my 2011 Sonata for a 2013 Outback. I was actually on the fence myself about the Santa Fe until I saw the OB in SAP. That package was the biggest tipping point for me.

I was satisfied with the Sonata, but like someone else mentioned, the problems I encountered were a little too frequent but relatively minor. The biggest problem I had was with the push button ignition (it basically stopped being reliable). I had an issue with one of my paddle shifters early on, the sunglasses holder wouldnt stay up and would obstruct the rear view. There may have been a few other minor problems but mine, a 2011, was the newly redesigned Sonata and we know how that goes with updated models. Hopefully by now these problems have worked themselves out. But the problems I had left me feeling my car was "cheap" and yea, it's a Hyundai, so it kinda was.

So the Santa Fe being newly redesigned and the cheapness factor are the two main reasons I decided to stay away. Hyundai's Navi system is miles better than Subaru's though. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I Dont get it...why do people like Hyundai? when I was car shopping I spent maybe 30 min on there lot..looking sitting...sat in the Santa Fe, Tucson, and Veracruz, didnt even fell the need to drive them. Couldnt stand them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I Dont get it...why do people like Hyundai? when I was car shopping I spent maybe 30 min on there lot..looking sitting...sat in the Santa Fe, Tucson, and Veracruz, didnt even fell the need to drive them. Couldnt stand them.
Looks and value. You get a lot for your money compared to Honda and Toyota. And they're all highly rated/reviewed vehicles.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I looked at the Hyundia's too and they are a lot of car for the money. It is just too subjective to say which is better. Reliability seems to be very good and I like the looks of some of their cars. I honestly didn't strongly consider the Hyundia's because of the Eye Sight feature which is the strong selling point of the Outback.
If Hyundia comes out with such a feature that will make things tough.
I will state that I never owned an Outback and test drove the Forester and Outback and liked them both. Once I got my Outback about 3 weeks ago and 1700 miles it has exceeded my expectations with only one small issue of the lack of self centering which an alignment will cure.
Fantastic vehicle...

·
Registered
320 Posts
The REDESIGN is worth a look if you're cross-shopping if not to buy, just for informational purposes. Do not confuse the old 2012 (or older) Sante Fe's with the NEW 2013 Sante Fe Sport.

Kia and Hyundai are trying hard to compete with Honda, Toyota, and (to a lesser extent), Nissan, Subaru, etc. Basically their Japanese competitors more than American competitors. The results will be visble in the next years as they come with loyal customers, sales, and new vehicles. The younger generations will attest to the results of Kia and Hyundai. Given the fact that the number of people who buy cars every year is decreasing, I'm very interested in what shortcuts Hyundai and Kia have been taking and what consequences owners face because of that.

As for the AWD system, I'm wondering how it competes against Subaru. I know the 2012 Kia Sportage AWD is just as capable as the active AWD in most of the non-manual Subarus. I'm wondering what Hyundai has done for AWD since the Kia Sorento does not share the same AWD system as the Kia Sportage.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Motor Trend just did a short bit on the new Santa Fe for their 2013 SUV of the Year competition. They said it was nice but was showing some fit/quality issues. Primarily squeaks and rattles were already apparent which shouldn't be happening in a new car -a stray rattle here or there is one thing, but squeaks would end the test drive for me.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
24 Participants
vr4Legacy
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing