Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2k outback, feels like a new car with out the bulls**t that goes with one.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the stuff I bought at western auto is terrible at sap removal. What home remedy are people using. Sap removal is an ancient pursuit. The should be tons of things. Long time ago someone mentioned vaseline. Not sure if I'm remembering that right.

Next I'd like to know if there is a product that works for keeping the pretend rubber or whatever they make gaskets of these days. I'm talking about the black stuff around the windows. Something w uv protection maybe if people are happy with it. I'd like to know about products or solutions you have had good experiences with please.

Ron

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
724 Posts
A heat gun or hair drier (be very careful as to not burn the paint) will soften the sap enough for you to scrap the bulk of it off with a hard plastic putty knife. The left behind residue will clean off with varsol or turpentine and a rag.

As for your window weatherstripping, purchase weatherstripping silicone. It usually comes with a dabber type applicator on the cap. You spread it on and massage it in. If done regularly, the weatherstripping won't crack and the glass won't freeze to it in the winter.

·
Registered
00 OBW, 01 Legacy
59 Posts
I use WD-40. My father and I have done this for years and no major issues so far. Remove it when it's fresh or it will be tough no matter what you do. The moment I see sap on my car I drop everything and clean it pronto. The heat idea sounds good. I might try that next time too. Good luck!

·
Registered
15 2.5i Limited Ice Silver / 06 2.5i 5MT Atlantic Blue-Silver
167 Posts
I recently used a citrus-based degreaser (marketed for cleaning bicycle chains) on a spot that had been there for months. I let it soak in a bit before lightly rubbing it away with a rag. It worked great without damaging the clearcoat.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,969 Posts
If its fresh and not too thick, Simple Green will clean it off. Does strip the wax though, so wax afterwards. If its thicker and not as fresh, there's what I use when I get evergreen sap (pitch) on my hands - suet. Don't laugh, it works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts