Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dealer-installed Subaru XM kit, installed when I purchased the vehicle last August. From time to time when I start the vehicle my radio will report "Updating" on my tuned channel then revert to the preview channel. In order to restore XM service on subscription channels I need to shut off the engine, remove the key and wait for all the "clicks and whirs" to end, then re-start the engine and I can tune something other than channel 1. Yes, I've tried just killing the radio, that didn't help.

Has anyone seen this? Any suggestions? It's not an "every time" thing, it happens randomly, though it happened on consecutive trips today (7 hours apart). I can take it to the dealer when it happens but that's not always possible.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts

That is weird.

I sounds like there might be something wrong with the hardware itself, but I suppose it could be a loose connection. It could also be some sort of local interference. Does it always happen at the same location? You could try call XM, they might have heard of it before. I'd recommend having the dealer look at it before going in there yourself... otherwise they could say you broke it.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to revive an old thread but I finally videoed the issues (after the vehicle started) to better demonstrate the issue. I plan on showing it to the service dept. when I drop the OB off for its 5,000 mile service.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hmm I wonder if having Sirius send a refresh signal to your radio would help. You can do that on their website.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't think about that, but with as intermittent and random this is I doubt it will fix it. I could go months without this happening, then other times I've had it on consecutive key cycles.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer contacted SOA and opened a case number. SOA asked them to have me check the signal strength on the radio display when it happens but I THINK (and the service guy seemed to agree and was going to call SOA again once I showed him my video) because I have a Premium with the dealer-installed XM module I won't see signal strength on the display.

It sounds like Subrau is saying that this is happening because the vehicle is being started in a low-signal area, but if I don't move the vehicle and re-start it works fine. Also, I start the OB in the garage where I have VERY poor signal, and it normally works fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts