Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery of a new Outback 2.5i early August and just now getting my head around the Multi Entertainment Unit - Eclipse AVN827GA - like the car overall, this is very impressive :D

However, there is always a 'however', not happy with the outdated Satnav maps installed. According to the unit's info page, map date is 2010 Q3 which seems strange for a 2012 build car.

So I did a little bit of Google research and found the Eclipse web site -

ECLIPSE Car Navigation and Audio Systems | Fujitsu Ten

and a link to the 300+ pages owner's manual

http://www.eclipse-web.com/au/download/manual/avn827ga_en/avn/pdf/avn827ga_en.pdf

Further research found that the latest Naviextras supplied Aus/NZ map is dated 2012 Q2 and can be downloaded for USD$119.95

https://eclipse.naviextras.com/shop/portal/catalog?view=list&type=100&page=1&area=10

Not sure how often Naviextras update their maps but somewhat disappointed that Subaru haven't installed the latest available maps prior to sale of their new cars.

Asked about map updates with the local Subaru dealer's service department and by the answers not sure if they fully understand how this can be undertaken. :confused: A case of watch this space.

Would be interested if any other owners are aware of this situation and have made enquires to their dealers or have approached Subaru Australia as to what happens next.

Comments welcomed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My maps on the Subaru 2012 Outback doesn't show roads upgraded in the past two years, a bit of a slack service to customers giving them outdated maps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Outdated maps supplied to New Outbacks

My maps on the Subaru 2012 Outback doesn't show roads upgraded in the past two years, a bit of a slack service to customers giving them outdated maps!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I forgot to add to my earlier post was the link to Subaru's Map Update page -

Satellite Navigation Mapping Updates

Go to the Outback 2010+ section, which is fine except there should be a note that it doesn't cover the updates for the current model Outbacks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two interesting items that have come to notice with the SatNav installed in the current Outback.

1. The SD memory card, which holds the map data, is locked while the owners manual clearly states that the SD card should be inserted UNLOCKED.

2. Today I travelled about 10 kms while the unit was searching for GPS satellites to display a location. It was only able to lock in a position after stopping at traffic lights for almost a minute. This seems to happen most days but not as long as 10kms, usually 2 to 3 kms.

I wonder if the unit's GPS antenna has been placed in a position that could restrict it receiving signals from the minimum number of available satellites.

Has anybody else notice this situation with their Eclipse AVN827GA SatNavs?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I travelled about 10 kms while the unit was searching for GPS satellites to display a location. It was only able to lock in a position after stopping at traffic lights for almost a minute. This seems to happen most days but not as long as 10kms, usually 2 to 3 kms.

I wonder if the unit's GPS antenna has been placed in a position that could restrict it receiving signals from the minimum number of available satellites.

Has anybody else notice this situation with their Eclipse AVN827GA SatNavs?
Since I posted this observation, I have noted two different situations how the SatNav reacts when parked either undercover or in the open.

1. From my home location (garaged or any other undercover parking), the SatNav displays correct information regarding location (street name etc.,) and altitude as per normal. However, usually after about 1km, lost satellite audio is heard and no altitude is displayed but the car symbol continues to move along the road even after I have turned into different street as if the unit switches into predict mode. Eventually the moving displays comes to a halt and the lost satellite icon is active until I stop long enough for it to locked onto sufficient GPS satellites to again display the correct location.

2. The SatNav works as per the book when the car is parked in the open and shows no sign of any errors.

Would be interested in any comments from other MY12 Outback owners regarding their SatNav units.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Oldfella.
Our unit is pretty quick only a few seconds really.It does sometimes loose satalites but finds them again fairly quick
I have asked on the Subaru Australia official site a couple of questions before and have always been happy with the responce back, might be worth a try there if you get stuck.
Hope this helps. Please let me know how you get on
wrxkid

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks wrxkid for your reply. Glad to hear that your unit behaves correctly.

Have not heard from any other owner on this forum experiencing this problem and can only assume that the unit/antenna is faulty.

Was waiting for the long overdue map update before contacting Subaru about repairs.

Cheers,
Oldfella

·
Registered
29 Posts
We had a navman which did the same thing when in built up areas on start up.
Not sure where you live but maybe this might have something to do with it?
wrxkid

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Live in a non built up area with plenty of blue sky to see. Don't think that's the problem.

For example, yesterday drove from outside of my son's house with the SatNav working OK, half of a kilometre down the road the altitude, speed warning symbol and adjacent house numbers disappeared off screen then followed by "lost satellite" audio warning. Drove on for 15 minutes, including a traffic light stop, to home with "looking for satellites" symbol displaying the whole time.

The problem is that the fault is intermittent and with my luck when I go to have it looked at by Subaru, the unit will be on its best behaviour.

What I was hoping for that some other owners maybe were experiencing the same trouble, could report on their progress to have it corrected.

Cheers,

Oldfella

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No fire extinguisher, just the headlight and bonnet protectors.

Are you suggesting that an extinguisher would have some effect on the SatNav? :gasp:

BTW, haven't punch it yet!

Oldfella

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Oldfella,

What you have described sounds like the same issues I had with my 2.5i Outback I picked up in April 2012. Ny Satnav would regularly lose connection and often the whole unit would randomly reset itself as I was driving along.

Took it back to my dealer who tested the unit and found a loose connection in the back. A week later the same issues started again. Contacted the dealer and they made enquiries with Subaru Australia. It took alittle while and the dealer was getting to the stage of ordering a replacement unit, then Subaru Australia came back to them advising there was a faulty batch of SIM cards. They installed the replacement SIM Card with the 12,500kms service and it has operated fine since. No dropping out or resetting itself.

Would be worth raising this with your dealer and asking for the SIM to be replaced.

Best of Luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Sloany for that info. Six month first service due real soon and will be raising the issue of losing the GPS signal with the dealer.

My unit is not resetting itself as you describe, but just doesn't know where it is for a period of time (varies in length) after start up, then once location is established, acts perfectly until the ignition is switched off.

Found very interesting your issue with the loose connection, feel that that could be my problem with the GPS antenna not installed correctly.

See the antenna specifications in the attachment and note the voltage supply to the antenna. If there is a problem in that area, could also be the root of lost signal.

Cheers,

Oldfella

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One thing I forgot to add to my earlier post was the link to Subaru's Map Update page -

Satellite Navigation Mapping Updates

Go to the Outback 2010+ section, which is fine except there should be a note that it doesn't cover the updates for the current model Outbacks.
Decided to revisit the outdated map for the Outback SatNav issue and noted that the above link now has a section for AVN units fitted to all Subaru vehicles.

The link opens the Eclipse web site and noted that the AUS/NZ maps have been updated to 2012 Q3, same price as was for the Q2 (August).

What the heck! Registered my unit and installed the Naviextras Toolbox. Removed the SD card from the SatNav and inserted it into a card reader and after a few minutes recognised my unit and name. Also advised that there were free updates to be installed. Backed up the SD card and went ahead and completed the updates. So far so good.

Next step was to buy the updated map and install. Took a few minutes and things went swimmingly. Completed another backup to be sure to be sure and re installed the SD card in the unit. Went for a quick drive around the neighbourhood but still the old problem of lost GPS signal prevailed. Parked for a couple of minutes to let it find itself and then everything worked well. :29:

Went for a long drive this morning to a new area that wasn't on the 2010 Q3 version to do some tests. New map passed with flying colours with the correct street names etc., however, some of the speed zones were wrong. I think that's a matter for Navteq (map detailer) to sort out.

One thing my wife noted that the female guidance voice is slightly deeper (and sexier) and uses different phrases than before. I didn't change any of the settings and can only assume that it was part of the update.

Hope this helps any other owner contemplating doing an update.

Cheers,
Oldfella

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi oldfella, sounds like you might be on the track then hopefully.
If you don't mind me asking how much was it for the new maps?
wrxkid

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how much was it for the new maps?
wrxkid
The update cost me US$119.95, but when I purchased it the AUD was about 1.05 USD where today's is about 1.02?

Go to this site https://eclipse.naviextras.com/shop/portal/catalog?salesPackageCode=60565&view=item&page=1&type=100&area=10

Hope that helps, if you have any problems ask away.

Still haven't been able to fix the issue of the lost GPS satellites and looks like nobody else has the same problem. Seems I have a one off mystery!

Cheers,

Oldfella

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The mystery of the lost GPS signal has been solved. :D

Have done a bit amateur detective work with a thin metal plate and taping it in various locations on top of the dash. Whenever the plate was placed in the centre of the dash above the Eclipse unit itself, the lost GPS signal would appear and continue for the duration of the trial. Placed elsewhere would still cause the lost signal to show but only for a time before then behaving correctly.

Following the photographic instructions from a thread in the US Outback forum, removed the surrounding radio trim with a minimum of fuss and revealed the GPS antenna sitting there on top of the unit. A very big No No according the Eclipse installation instructions.

Taped to a few of the wires from the unit showed a Lumen Australia label and part number. All the wires were connected into terminals in the standard Subaru loom and looked very professional, and not as I expected, piggy-backed or spliced into the the wiring harness.

All very neat except the placement of the GPS antenna which spoilt the whole affair.

Oldfella

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
6 Participants
OutbackOne
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing