Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OB is running again after the weekend. Put the engine back (by myself) on Friday night. For some reason the water temp guage is not working. But the car runs, has no fluid leaks and and no mixing of oil and water.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Other than making sure it's hooked up, and has a good ground (most likely threaded into block/water outlet) I'm not sure. You could always get a gauge pack or something:) Brian

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will pull of the intake manifold again tonight to check all the wiring. Even though the guage cluster sounds like a good idea the car is not idling correctly and the fans run all the time. I am sure that the ECM needs to see a signal from the engine temp sensor for proper engine management.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Absolutely, Neil (or is it Neal) A lot of the sensors give the ECU all it's info. Sounds like you engine is in hot mode due to not getting the proper reading from the temp sensor. Brian

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,547 Posts
I'd be willing to bet the 'default' condition for an open connection is 'Fans On'. maybe you'll be lucky and just need a wire repair!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I should rather make sure I have all the connectors plugged in! Got the engine temp sensor, but did not get the thermometer one. Car runs good now, no codes but still no temp gauge. I will get that tomorrow.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
I remember what a Medusa's-hair tangle of connectors we found under the manifold. Looking back, I wonder if we really had to pull all of those; we might have been able to simply unbolt the manifold from the heads, and let it rest on the block.

Oh well, 20-20 hindsight...

Congratulations on getting it back in!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sure some of that stuff could have stayed. The 2 stray connectors that got me was disconnected when I did the gaskets for the water pipe. And they sit below that tangled mess that would make Medusa jealous.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Fortunately, you never looked at it directly, so you did not turn to stone...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess my handywork was good enough. Halfway on my way to Little Rock and the car is running great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts