Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An excerpt from -
Long-running Pioneer spacecraft mystery may be explained
July 18, 2012
Courtesy of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory
and World Science staff

A mysterious slowing of NASA’s Pioneer 10 and 11 spacecraft turns out to be due to the slight, but detectable effect of heat pushing back on the spacecraft, according to new research.

The so-called “Pioneer Anomaly” has mystified researchers for years and was thought by some to point to deficiencies in the basic structure of mainstream physics.

The heat that causing the slowdown emanates from electrical current flowing through instruments and power supply, according to new results published on June 12 in the journal Physical Review Letters.

“The effect is something like when you’re driving a car and the photons particles of light from your headlights are pushing you backward,”
said Slava Turyshev, the paper’s lead author at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. “It is very subtle.”

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
The next time I head out on a trip to the Beta Quadrant, I will remember your advice and turn them off when I don't actually need to illuminate, say, a rogue planet.....

I'm sure I will see a measurable savings - can you give me an idea of what effect it will have on my "trillion gallon per parsec" fuel consumption?

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,019 Posts
...darn...does that mean my mod for adding a flux capacitor is just a waste of time??? I need that sucker for time travel and doing it without lights is gonna be tough....Don't want to hit that rogue planet on reentry...lol

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,969 Posts
This is an old drag racing tip for shaving a tenth off your ET. Also, to go faster, paint your car red. Ask any cop, red cars are faster.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,110 Posts
If you go fast enough your car will be red anyway - from atmospheric friction or a Dopler visible light wavelength redshift. Thanks Carl Sagan.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
... can you give me an idea of what effect it will have
on my "trillion gallon per parsec" fuel consumption?
The effect is slightly more significant than a K&N air filter.

Looby

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
If you go fast enough your car will be red anyway - from atmospheric friction or a Dopler visible light wavelength redshift. Thanks Carl Sagan.
I just want to go fast enough to spin the odometer back 10-15k miles.;)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
If you go fast enough, when you stop everyone else's Outbacks will probably be gone. Time dilation and all that you know...

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
This explains the whole reverse issue with CVTs... The back-up lights are too bright!

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
And this is yet another reason to ban light bars (sarcasm)

·
Registered
1996 Subaru Outback 2.5L AWD
33 Posts
well... in all seriousness... turning the headlights on technically increases the load on the electrical system, which in turn makes the alternator work slightly harder, which then puts a tiny amount more resistance on the belt that the engine drives... so... technically, driving with the headlights on will lower your mpg... by probably .01% or so, lol

·
Registered
2009 OBXT, 5MT, SWP
38 Posts
This explains the whole reverse issue with CVTs... The back-up lights are too bright!
Yeah, I was just thinking that I will completely cover the rear of my car with the brightest lights I can find and enjoy the increased mpg's. Sucks for the guy following me. Not only will they be blinded but their car will have to force its way through all those photons (lower mpg's for them).

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Maybe the kids with the big woofers in the backs of their Civics think it helps propel them?

If you run the heater full blast all the time, wouldn't you get a buoyancy effect, thus reducing friction with the road?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,019 Posts
This is an old drag racing tip for shaving a tenth off your ET. Also, to go faster, paint your car red. Ask any cop, red cars are faster.
...and that is why I bought the ruby read pearl OB....LOL! :29:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts