Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 & 2002 Outback Wagon EJ251/Auto + 2004 Outback LL Bean EZ30/Auto + 1996 Legacy Outback Wagon EJ22/5sp + 2008 Outback Wagon EJ253/Auto + 2004 Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. EJ251/Auto (not OB) + 2005 O
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try and find some used O2 sensors at the local Pull-A-Part scrap yard. I found out that the 2000-2003 Toyota Camry and Solara uses the same O2 sensor (upstream - P0031 or P0052 error codes) as my 04 OBW LL Bean and they have a bunch of Camrys there (but no Subarus.. go figure). Has anyone ever tried this? I can pull several to make sure I find a good one. Just trying to save some money till I can get a new Denso (234-9010). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
If it's the same part, it will work. i wouldn't be worried at all. Just be aware that these items degrade with usage- after "a lot" of miles they are slow to respond to changes in the exhaust stream, fuel is wasted and power is lost as a result.

"a lot" is over 125k miles in my experience.

All that means is check the odometer before you pull the part. Look for something that was totaled early.

·
Banned
6,270 Posts
If it's the same part, it will work. i wouldn't be worried at all. Just be aware that these items degrade with usage- after "a lot" of miles they are slow to respond to changes in the exhaust stream, fuel is wasted and power is lost as a result.

"a lot" is over 125k miles in my experience.

All that means is check the odometer before you pull the part. Look for something that was totaled early.
Agree...I pulled many a part in my life from salvage yards but O2 sensors are not one of them. Some parts you should just buy new.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,839 Posts
How much you expect these to cost? Will the connectors be the same or is 'hard wiring' involved? They also may not be easy to remove.

I'm with z28 I think on this. But, if you have plenty of time and patience, you're going to the junkyard anyway.... and the price is really cheap....I can see the attraction.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
when and if you buy new. price off rockauto or amazon. (local parts store chains like to overcharge on these).

these things wear, and get old. so at a pick and pull you can find old and new things.

possible to find good stuff in a pick and pull.

matching the

DENSO 2349010 {#22641AA03C, 8946733020, 8946733040}

rockauto lists these when looking at subaru: but does not list that part for camry when you look at the camry list. :frown2:
(maybe denso a division toyota is has a newer stock # for such toyota cars)

SUBARU OUTBACK 2001-2004
TOYOTA CAMRY 2000-2003
TOYOTA SOLARA 2000-2003

______

Ebay has a longer list; including toyota camry 2.2 and 2.4. (2000-2003)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DENSO-234-9010-Air-Fuel-Ratio-Sensor-/261079698127

Reactions: Cajun Aggie

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,710 Posts
If I had access to a pick and pull that basically shrugged whenever I asked how much for a part like this, I would do it.

If I went and asked how much and they said $50 for it I would just go buy a new one.

I would even grab two if possible because it's still likely that one will fail soon and worse case you've got a spare for when it does.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
If I had access to a pick and pull that basically shrugged whenever I asked how much for a part like this, I would do it.

If I went and asked how much and they said $50 for it I would just go buy a new one.

I would even grab two if possible because it's still likely that one will fail soon and worse case you've got a spare for when it does.
some pick and pulls only want $10 for a o2 sensor,

maybe you find a nice one that someone just replaced and then junked the car so its easy to get out. probably need a lot of penetrating spray,. and a cigarette lighter on a stick to get some heat to make it work better,
(I guess that would not be called a "torch" on the rules sheet).

...and that nice special socket to make it come out neat though.

·
Banned
6,270 Posts
some pick and pulls only want $10 for a o2 sensor,

maybe you find a nice one that someone just replaced and then junked the car so its easy to get out. probably need a lot of penetrating spray,. and a cigarette lighter on a stick to get some heat to make it work better,
(I guess that would not be called a "torch" on the rules sheet).

...and that nice special socket to make it come out neat though.
Yep, if one insists on a junk O2 sensor an O2 socket and a breaker bar are essential.

Hopefully your pick 'n pull is like the ones around me where all the cars are stored sitting up on old wheels and tires making access pretty easy.

·
Registered
2000 & 2002 Outback Wagon EJ251/Auto + 2004 Outback LL Bean EZ30/Auto + 1996 Legacy Outback Wagon EJ22/5sp + 2008 Outback Wagon EJ253/Auto + 2004 Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. EJ251/Auto (not OB) + 2005 O
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the input. I've got an O2 sensor installation tool already. I've got a 3/8 cordless impact wrench, some PB Buster penetrating spray, (and a breaker bar if needed). Looks like the Camry O2 sensor is fairly easy to get to from under the hood. I'll let y'all know how it works. I'll be sure to grab a few.

The Denso part is $99 at Amazon, and the OEM Subaru part lists for $190. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one with low mileage or a recent replacement. I'm not expecting miracles or a 50k mile part here. ;)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input. I've got an O2 sensor installation tool already. I've got a 3/8 cordless impact wrench, some PB Buster penetrating spray, (and a breaker bar if needed). Looks like the Camry O2 sensor is fairly easy to get to from under the hood. I'll let y'all know how it works. I'll be sure to grab a few.

The Denso part is $99 at Amazon, and the OEM Subaru part lists for $190. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one with low mileage or a recent replacement. I'm not expecting miracles or a 50k mile part here. ;)
oh yeah,

those old camry's have em right up on top of the engine in the front embedded in the exhaust manifold. = great idea thread :smile2:

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,710 Posts
oh yeah,

those old camry's have em right up on top of the engine in the front embedded in the exhaust manifold. = great idea thread :smile2:
On my 2001 the exhaust manifold faced forward and went under. It was basically right there when you pop the hood. Should be fairly easy to get to.

Attachments

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
On my 2001 the exhaust manifold faced forward and went under. It was basically right there when you pop the hood. Should be fairly easy to get to.
Is that the oil filter mounted horizontal? Above the dipstick? Whyyyyyyyy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts