Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Premium, Mr118 17" Michelin Defender T+H 225/65r17
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be trading in my 2017 outback for a Toyota 4runner this week. There are many things I liked about the outback, comfort, MPG, the ease of changing the oil, drives like a sports car and parts are cheap. The deal killer for me is the way the outback acts in the cold weather. I dont like the marbles in the can sound on a cold start and the way the CVT acts. I do understand this all has to do with emissions and advancing the timing to warm the vehicle faster, I still dont like it. I noticed Subaru changed the roof rack on the 2019 so the outback does not look like a hearse (hated that too). I know that my 4runner will be a pain to maintain, but at least I can maintain it and I can already feel my testosterone levels coming back...lol. Thanks to the people that have answered my question on this site. I wish you all good luck with your subies.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I will be trading in my 2017 outback for a Toyota 4runner this week. There are many things I liked about the outback, comfort, MPG, the ease of changing the oil, drives like a sports car and parts are cheap. The deal killer for me is the way the outback acts in the cold weather. I dont like the marbles in the can sound on a cold start and the way the CVT acts. I do understand this all has to do with emissions and advancing the timing to warm the vehicle faster, I still dont like it. I noticed Subaru changed the roof rack on the 2019 so the outback does not look like a hearse (hated that too). I know that my 4runner will be a pain to maintain, but at least I can maintain it and I can already feel my testosterone levels coming back...lol. Thanks to the people that have answered my question on this site. I wish you all good luck with your subies.
Now that's funny...........:grin2:

Enjoy your new ride!!!

·
Premium Member
2017 Outback Limited 2.5
83 Posts
The 4Runner is a great vehicle, enjoy it. Check out the iH8MUD forum for lots of Toyota 4Runner and Land Cruiser info.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 R Touring
131 Posts
I drove a 2019 4Runner for several days, while my car was in the body shop. It's hard to compare the two vehicles. I'm not miserly about gas mileage - but 11.5 MPG on city freeways is nuts. Also, I don't think they updated the interior / control layout since 1995. A step back, IMO.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,501 Posts
...and we did the opposite...traded a 2016 RAV for an 18 crosstrek because the RAV just wasn’t doing it. Taste is everything

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
197 Posts
You rarely can go wrong with a Toyota. I've had many, cars, trucks, one 4 runner. All good.
Today I seen the upcoming 2020 Highlander in a review; it looked fairly nice and maybe more in line for me if I went with Toyota. Maybe too large though, idk.
If I go upscale, I'm really liking the look of the Volvo V60 Cross Country now. Haven't seen one on the road yet, I like part that too.
Good luck with the new toyota!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I drove a 2019 4Runner for several days, while my car was in the body shop. It's hard to compare the two vehicles. I'm not miserly about gas mileage - but 11.5 MPG on city freeways is nuts. Also, I don't think they updated the interior / control layout since 1995. A step back, IMO.
Whats crazy is my 1993 Landcruiser got 12mpg on 285’s 34inch tires. My 2005 Sequoia mixed does 15-16mpg with the V8 and its pretty much impossible to drive those bricks in a manner that improves mileage. Highway the Sequoia can post tank averages between 21-17mpg depending speeds. 50-55mph 21mpg, 60-65 20-18mpg, 70-75mph 18-17mpg, 80-85mph 16-15mpg. Lots of road trips lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a pedal commander and drive super aggressive and I haven't done worse that 16mpg average (calculated at pump, the dash display seems to think im always getting 19)

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited with Tech package, 2004 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor 4 Dr 105,000 km.
301 Posts
Has the aerodynamics of a brick....good luck at the pump.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
460 Posts
What's a "City freeway"?? :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts