Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
There are no special codes that I know of for engine oil temp or pressure. I think the pressure sensor is also either showing pressure or not, I'm not sure there is a discernible value. Oil temp on my 2.5 generally runs 10-20 degrees warmer than the coolant. I just show water temp on the scangauge.

·
Registered
498 Posts
There are no special codes that I know of for engine oil temp or pressure. I think the pressure sensor is also either showing pressure or not, I'm not sure there is a discernible value. Oil temp on my 2.5 generally runs 10-20 degrees warmer than the coolant. I just show water temp on the scangauge.
How are you determining the oil temperature?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Got It, thanks

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check post #41. https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/462985-cvt-cold-weather-issues-5.html @Brucey posted this info awhile back. My Scangauge has ver. 3.17 firmware and the passive values in the table work for several parameters including CVT fluid temps. Engine oil temps agree with those displayed on the info. screen. Haven't found any oil pressure PID's

Thanks for the tip, however, I tried the codes for the Passive Oil Temp and they did not work for me. It may be due to my model year. I am running 4.5 firmware.

I can get my Oil Temp from the on-board management system but was just wanting it to display with my others on the Scangauge.

I am getting CVT temp - I got those codes off the Scangauge web site.

·
Super Moderator
9,405 Posts
Thank you, I didn't notice that.

I got the second one listed to work. It's nice having these together : Oil temp, CVT temp, Water temp, Voltage

Thanks again. :smile2:
Can you list the code that worked for you?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I picked up another Scangauge II today to put in my GMC Sierra. AutoZone has a sale on it until March 4 for $40 off. Their regular price is $159.99 and that is what Amazon currently shows as well. The Scangauge website shows it for $169.99. With the discount at AutoZone it was $119.99. Still a little spendy but a pretty good deal for anyone thinking about it.

https://www.autozone.com/accessories/_/N-26p9?itemIdentifier=914192_0_0&showDeal=true&skuAvl[email protected]636acc56&skuId=914192

The pic below is just a screenshot so there aren't any working links in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
$160 Ouch.
I have an UltraGague. It cost $80 and displays 7 pages of up to 8 values per page.

However, I lent it to my son who is still using it and have now been using a $20 wifi OBD2 adapter and a $4 iPhone App called "Car Scanner". The free version is fully functional for something like a month, then it's limited to the types of info it will display but for $4 for the fully functional version, it's great.

It's a display freak's dream. You can display virtually any OBD parameter as well as calculated parameters like estimated instantaneous horsepower based on fuel consumption. You can display numerical values, an "analog gauge" or a graph and change colors, font sizes, redlines, alarms, even make it mirrored to act as a HUD.

I don't use my current iPhone (Xr) for the display, I use an old iPhone 5s or SE. Makes great use of something that would otherwise sit on a shelf collecting dust.

There are also Apps for Android and you can use an even cheaper (<$10) ELM327 based Bluetooth adapter with Android phones.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
This is what the folks at scan gauge have listed on the site for gen 5 outbacks Xgauge:

CVT Fluid Temperature (°F)
Actual Gear Ratio
Target Gear Ratio
Secondary Pulley Speed
Primary Pulley Speed
Lock Up Duty Ratio
Transfer Duty Ratio
Turbine Revolution Speed

The forester have about 4 or 5X the number of commands listed for that vehicle.

These are the other two Oil commands in the PDF, I haven't had a chance to try them.

Oops, somehow missed the post where he gave the command, its the second one in my jpeg.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
This is what the folks at scan gauge have listed on the site for gen 5 outbacks Xgauge:

CVT Fluid Temperature (°F)
Actual Gear Ratio
Target Gear Ratio
Secondary Pulley Speed
Primary Pulley Speed
Lock Up Duty Ratio
Transfer Duty Ratio
Turbine Revolution Speed

The forester have about 4 or 5X the number of commands listed for that vehicle.

These are the other two Oil commands in the PDF, I haven't had a chance to try them.

Oops, somehow missed the post where he gave the command, its the second one in my jpeg.
I don't remember seeing the actual and target gear ratio Xgauges before.
The firmware in my original Scangauge was too old for some of those to work and I can't remember if I tried all of them when got my second one. I know I have horsepower as well but that might be one of the standard ones that isn't vehicle specific. I always have engine oil temp and CVT temp displayed as well.
I found an engine torque Xgauge for my 2010 GMC but it didn't work so hopefully I just entered a number wrong. I haven't had a chance to look at it any more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2016 Outback Limited 3.6R: The first code string for engine oil temperature “07DF015C” worked. Thank you very much! Matches the temp on the vehicle monitoring screen exactly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2016 Limited Outback 3.6R, for engine oil temperature.
Engine Oil Temperature Codes, in order of entry when programming, for the ScanGauge II, XGauge. "07DF015C 0441055C0000 2808 00090005FFD8 OTF"

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
$160 Ouch.
I have an UltraGague. It cost $80 and displays 7 pages of up to 8 values per page.

However, I lent it to my son who is still using it and have now been using a $20 wifi OBD2 adapter and a $4 iPhone App called "Car Scanner". The free version is fully functional for something like a month, then it's limited to the types of info it will display but for $4 for the fully functional version, it's great.

It's a display freak's dream. You can display virtually any OBD parameter as well as calculated parameters like estimated instantaneous horsepower based on fuel consumption. You can display numerical values, an "analog gauge" or a graph and change colors, font sizes, redlines, alarms, even make it mirrored to act as a HUD.

I don't use my current iPhone (Xr) for the display, I use an old iPhone 5s or SE. Makes great use of something that would otherwise sit on a shelf collecting dust.

There are also Apps for Android and you can use an even cheaper (<$10) ELM327 based Bluetooth adapter with Android phones.

What is the $20 OBD2 adapter that you are using for iPhone. I would like to get a set up so I can better accurately monitor the car's diagnostics and coolant temp. Will it show real time data?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
11 Participants
OutbackWI
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing