Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Outback 2.5L
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2004 Subaru Outback. Has 13,000 miles on it. I did not get a manual or a Warranty Owners Manual which, I believe outlines the scheduled service. I have little or no idea of it's previous service history. The oil doesn't look too bad-I think the oil filter is a Subaru issue, it's a black filter w/Japanese writing-. I checked the air filter…it's in pretty bad shape-appears to be OEM, it's made of yellow paper, and was partially eroded-directly by the intake area. Should I assume that this car has not had any service since new-if so what would you guys recommend? All other fluids look good, coolant, brake fluid, power steering etc. Also, is it time for a tune up? i.e. plugs wires etc? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
I don't believe there's much difference from my Impreza Outback Sport, but others here will have a better idea as to what exactly the maintenance schedule is for the Outback.

Your description of the oil filter sounds like my automatic transmission filter. I think Subaru oil filters are a baby blue color. I could be wrong. Oil filter is near the front of the 2.5L engines anyway.

Oh wait, I knew I had seen this Subaru maintenance schedule online before and just now found it again.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_maintenance.html

So you should be nearing the 3rd oil/filter change, also a 2nd tire rotation (Front to back. Never side switch.) If the original owner did the first oil change early it be on the 3rd already, seems many people don't wait until the that first 3000 mile mark. Would be great to know if it is synthetic in there but that's probably not something you can find out if you don't have contact with the original owner. A few "inspections" needed soon, too.

If someone will confirm that chart is okay you should be good to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts