Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to Subaru here. It's an '08 Legacy, not an Outback, but in my research on various upkeep and maintenance issues, this forum is the best! I'm of a moderate repair skill level, and I enjoy wrenching, except of course when something fails unexpectedly! What led me to actually join was a thread about a newer engine in an older chassis ('11 in an '08). I think my hg's are failing.

It's a daily driver. Have owned for a couple years now. I love the awd, and average 30 mpg.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,113 Posts
Welcome!

What led me to actually join was a thread about a newer engine in an older chassis ('11 in an '08). I think my hg's are failing.
Reading your words carefully, I don't think you're proposing putting the '11 engine in an '08 Outback, you're just relating what got you hooked here? If you have the 2.5i H4 NA, there are indy shops that specialize in Subarus and know how to fix the head gaskets - not necessarily low cost, but certainly less cost than Subaru, and they are good are fixing it permanently.

You might fill in your user profile so that we know your location and exact model.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
whats wrong with your head gaskets?

if they are leaking oil externally just fix them like every other 2000-2009 H4 n/a owner. (some even DIY them ).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They haven't blown yet, no overheating issues or coolant loss. Yes to the oil leakage, more now than when purchased. On pass. side, top and bottom. On bottom, it leaks down off the oil filter. Driver side appears dry. Front and rear seals appear dry. Considering doing hg's myself. Have been quoted $2,000-$3,500 to have local shops do it. Initially, a little oil in spark plug tubes, so I replaced those gaskets along with the valve cover gaskets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts