Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our month old 2013 Outback ended up with a full body length clearcoat scratch. I had parked it outside of the grocery. The doors were ok but the rear quarter and front fendor were not. The person who ran the shopping cart between the cars and "railed" our car had to have known it happened, but they did not leave even a simple note. I was very distraught. When I finallly cooled down I remembered that some companies have scratch removal products. I knew they were clearcoat scratches, so with a littlee luck maybe they would come out. I went to my local Advance Auto store and found a Meguire's product called ScratchX 2.0. The application consisted of washing the car thoroughly, letting it dry and then using a foam or microfiber applicator to apply the product liberally and buffing it. After applying it remove the product with a microfiber or 100% terry towell. I was surprised with the results. The scratch on the front fendor was completely gone. The one of the rear is still there but only someone who knows where it was can find it. What I assume this product does is smooths out the clearcoat decreasing the definition of the scratch. As I found with my application it probably works better with scratches that are not as deep and if the scratch is all the way down to meetal it probably will not help at all. I wanted to pass this along as it worked for me

Product link is below, but you can probably find it at your local autoparts store
MeguiarsDirect.com:ScratchX® 2.0 ScratchX 2.0

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
You're a better man than I.
I would've gone to security, demanded to see parking lot surveillance (assuming they have it) and gone all vigilante.

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
I know from experience that a good buffer and a good Swirl-Remover/polish will remove a multitude of sins, even ones that appear to have gone down to bare metal!:gasp:

Occasionally, you might need to start with one that is a bit more abrasive, then buff down until there is no abrasive (or very little) then polish.

If you have not used a high speed buffer before, it might be good to have someone do it who knows the tricks of the trade, in which case the scratch might come nearly completely out in almost no time!

·
Banned
238 Posts
Our month old 2013 Outback ended up with a full body length clearcoat scratch. I had parked it outside of the grocery. The doors were ok but the rear quarter and front fendor were not. The person who ran the shopping cart between the cars and "railed" our car had to have known it happened, but they did not leave even a simple note.

Product link is below, but you can probably find it at your local autoparts store
MeguiarsDirect.com:ScratchX® 2.0 ScratchX 2.0
Sorry to hear about the damage to your new car. Don't expect any notes or even remorse from that bottom feeder who scratched your car. The general psychological profile for such kind of folks is that they drive old beaters, working for low wages if not collecting welfare checks, quite obese, prefer to park closest distance to the store, and of course have complete lack of respect for their own and others property.
When I'm going to a grocery store or any mall, I'm employing my proven safety parking techniques. For example, I park my car at some distance from the store, which would require an obese bottom feeder a little bit walking, which they are not quite accustomed to. I park generally in the left or right most parking slot to make sufficient distance between next car left or right doors. I will never park next to either dirty or neglected car or an old beater. I don't mind parking next to immaculate looking vintage or classic cars. I will not park next to shopping cart return rails ever. If it's unavoidable to park in between two cars, I take two snapshots of the cars on the left and on the right with their license plates clearly visible. On one occasion, that snapshot saved me more than $700 in repainting bills. One bitch scraped my car with a swing of her door and drove away. When police stopped her acting upon my report, her door edge still had scrapes of the paint from my car. She learned a good lesson, not only by paying for the damages but being charged with property damage as well.
I have installed side moldings, wheel arch moldings and rear bumper corners on all my cars.
Another product I would recommend, which would fill in and hide scratches is Classe High Gloss Sealant Glaze.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have reported it to security and the assistant manager. They are reviewing tape and a manager is supposed to get back to me. Given my experience with insurance companies (have a lot of experience) they probably will not be able to help me. I may start shopping at Target given that their carts have plastic bumpers on them. I also may start just taking my "beater" 1997 Nissan Altima instead of our pretty new subie. I am a car nut as most people on here. Some may think we are wacko being nuts about a jacked up station wagon with a boxer engine, but we like our cars as they are unique. The interesting thing was that they had the parking lot re-striped to the new distance standard which as some of you may not know allows for much more room on either side of the car. It seems for so long companies were getting by cramming more parking spots in their lots. Even though I had a good 3 ft+ on either side some boze still scratched our subie!

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,043 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage to your new car. Don't expect any notes or even remorse from that bottom feeder who scratched your car. The general psychological profile for such kind of folks is that they drive old beaters, working for low wages if not collecting welfare checks, quite obese, prefer to park closest distance to the store, and of course have complete lack of respect for their own and others property.
When I'm going to a grocery store or any mall, I'm employing my proven safety parking techniques. For example, I park my car at some distance from the store, which would require an obese bottom feeder a little bit walking, which they are not quite accustomed to. I park generally in the left or right most parking slot to make sufficient distance between next car left or right doors. I will never park next to either dirty or neglected car or an old beater. I don't mind parking next to immaculate looking vintage or classic cars. I will not park next to shopping cart return rails ever. If it's unavoidable to park in between two cars, I take two snapshots of the cars on the left and on the right with their license plates clearly visible. On one occasion, that snapshot saved me more than $700 in repainting bills. One bitch scraped my car with a swing of her door and drove away. When police stopped her acting upon my report, her door edge still had scrapes of the paint from my car. She learned a good lesson, not only by paying for the damages but being charged with property damage as well.
I have installed side moldings, wheel arch moldings and rear bumper corners on all my cars.
Another product I would recommend, which would fill in and hide scratches is Classe High Gloss Sealant Glaze.
That is exactly the way I park too. :29:

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
Another thing to watch out for is parking lots that are not level. A runaway shopping cart will find your car if it is downhill or even down-wind. My cars have always been shopping cart magnets and I have learned this through experience.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Just removed brush/tree scratches using teflon wax i also use on our boats. It has a very light buffing compound in it. Marine stores carry it might be cheaper. I just buffed the scratch area by hand. The deeper spots took two passes. But car looks good now. I only used it on the scratched areas. No need to abuse the clear coat any more than needed.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6r Limited - Deep Indigo Pearl
23 Posts
My new 2012 OUtback got Keyed just a couple of months after I got it. It's so deep it couldn't get buffed out. It makes me cringe every time I look at it.

·
Registered
2005 2.5i
48 Posts
You're my new hero :29:

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited w/moonroof package and Illumination Package #2 Dark Grey Metallic
67 Posts
scratches on the dark plastic surrounding the fog lights

along similar lines, is there a way to buff scratches from the dark plastic parts of the bumper? i tried Meguiars Ultimate BLACK Plastic Restorer but that wasn't the trick...

any suggestions?

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
i got a nasty dent on my passenger door in a parking lot at school. i talked to security and they basically told me "go **** yourself," so i used glare knockout and micro polish remover. the only product i have ever found that does any thing on deep, deep scratches. works well on motorcycle helmets. its much more expensive than the normal scratch removers out there and the only place i could get it was on amazon. subaru paint sucks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts