Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I backed my 2012 Outback into a concrete trash bin.:( There are scuffs on the bumper and the black (plastic?) underguard. I haven’t started asking for quotes yet, but figure it will cost me at least $250 to get this fixed in a Pro Shop (central New Jersey).
<O:p</O:p
I consider myself handy and wondering if this can be fixed on my own? The damaged bumper area will need new touchup paint, clear coat, sanding & waxing, but I have no idea how fix the scuffs on that black underguard. The piece does not have paint on it.
Trying to make the damage less visible (not necessary perfect), and hopefully spending less than $100 for the job. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I backed my 2012 Outback into a concrete trash bin.:( There are scuffs on the bumper and the black (plastic?) underguard. I haven’t started asking for quotes yet, but figure it will cost me at least $250 to get this fixed in a Pro Shop (central New Jersey).
I consider myself handy and wondering if this can be fixed on my own? The damaged bumper area will need new touchup paint, clear coat, sanding & waxing, but I have no idea how fix the scuffs on that black underguard. The piece does not have paint on it.
Trying to make the damage less visible (not necessary perfect), and hopefully spending less than $100 for the job. Any suggestions?
After you get it fixed I would get the OEM rubber bumper guards - Subaru sells them. You can see them on most taxi cabs in the NY/NJ metropolitan area!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Rubbing compound or wax on the black might mask the "whitish" scratches. I would give them a try first. The gouges in the plastic painted surface are a whole 'nother can of worms. I'm not sure it can be sanded/prepped for paint. :(

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Painting plastic isn't that simple. Definitely not a DIY issue. Even paint shop technicians have to have a special training how to paint plastic.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Limited, K&N Air Filter, Crystal Black Silica exterior, Notto SE HID Kit, 2 10" Alpine Subs w/Amp, interior LED's, Visor & Windows Tinted, LED Fog/Reverse/Projector Front Position L
202 Posts
You could plasti-dip the lower portion of the bumper that is black. Easy to use and looks great

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
Dr. Colorchip or buy some factory color in an aerosol can.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, that paint repair sounds a lot harder than I initially imaged (was hoping some Subaru touchup paint will hide the issue)

I am just looking for an inexpensive solution (does not need to be perfect): I visit NYC a few times a month so the car is always in high risk for bumper damages.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Wow, that paint repair sounds a lot harder than I initially imaged (was hoping some Subaru touchup paint will hide the issue)

I am just looking for an inexpensive solution (does not need to be perfect): I visit NYC a few times a month so the car is always in high risk for bumper damages.
If you want an unnoticeable repair, take to a shop..might be closer to $400 to repair.

If you just want it to look better you can try touch up paint from the subie dealer. Also, using a propane torch can sometimes melt small scratches.

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5GT-L
314 Posts
you can get matching paint, along with the adhesion promoter, and primer (the latter two for plastics) from places like paintscratch.com for under $100. It takes time to fix - you'll need to sand that area, then clean, apply the adhesion promoter, then the primer (use a high-build one and sand between coats until the scratches are filled and the area is smooth), then paint (multiple thin coats - they give instructions), then clear (multiple thin coats) - they can match the paint pretty well (you paint a sample card and compare it to your card - if it doesn't match, you send back the card and a description of how it's off and they reformulate - might take a few iterations, but they'll get it right) - it's more labor intensive than a shop, but it will look way better than the scratches (plus, you'll have the materials for next time...)

the plastic is going to be rough... you might try a plastic polish or rubbing compound, but getting back the textured finish isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Depending upon your skill level I recommend trying something similar to DrD's suggestions or something much more basic with some light sanding and a matching rattle can because the end result should look better than what you already have. The repair shop will just have to remove your DIY repair if you are not happy with your work....not much to lose. The scuff marks on the black trim part of the bumper are actually the easiest part of the repair for a novice

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some old woman parked her car right into my new Subaru bumper; she said she didn't feel it hit!?! Her license plate made a scratch into the black portion of the bumper. Is there any way to get that out?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, Everyone - this is my first time on Subaru Outback forums and was looking at this thread for a while. I recently sustained some similar damage that zkwu did back in 2011. I scraped my front bumper while parking in our narrow garage (and trying to keep distance from the other car parked in the garage). The scratches on the black ruggedized bumper are not very deep and I'm looking for the best DIY method of masking them. Based on the picture I've attached, does anyone think a product such as Back to Black or Ultimate Black may mask these scratches? Any other easy DIY ideas? My OB is 6 months old so I'm frustrated and bothered by this but also trying to be realistic that this probably isn't worth a repair by a professional. Any thoughts? Thank you for your time and opinions and looking forward to connecting on this forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have tried two black trim restorers.
the first one was wipe new. works great for oxidized trim. very easy to apply.
the second was renu finish. a bit harder to apply. it has black pigment in it so if can cover stuff that has been scuffed deeper. it also works well.
both are very aromatic, outside use only.
for paint gouges/ rock chip damage i have tried touch up paint. one was a pen type, one was a brush on, and the last was a spray. i liked the spray best, but the color match on all of them was very poor. if you can find a place that can match the color use the spray. cover it with a clear spray and let it dry for a day, then just wet sand, polishing compound and buff. not too hard and is should look good if the color matches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts