Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Limited - 2.5 L Boxer H4 - 5 Speed Manual
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Did the seafoam treatment through the PCV valve for the first time tonight. Unfortunately, right off the bat I didn't realize how much (or rather, how little) an amount to put in, and I stalled the engine out. Restarted, did the 1/3 can successfully after that. However, it turned the check engine light on! How do I get this to go away? Is everything alright?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,289 Posts
Not to worry. You probably set off a lean code or misfire. Either way, just disconnect the negative battery cable and this will reset the ECM memory. The emission monitors will reset within 25 miles of mixed highway and city driving.

In the future, if you just put a full can in the tank with a fill up twice a year, it will keep everything clean. And when you hook up the drip, use a small vacuum hose or just hook it up to the brake booster hose and let it drip in or with a very small stream and run the engine between 1200-1500 rpm to help the Sea Foam vaporize in the intake and prevent the MIL.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Limited - 2.5 L Boxer H4 - 5 Speed Manual
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to worry. You probably set off a lean code or misfire. Either way, just disconnect the negative battery cable and this will reset the ECM memory. The emission monitors will reset within 25 miles of mixed highway and city driving.

In the future, if you just put a full can in the tank with a fill up twice a year, it will keep everything clean. And when you hook up the drip, use a small vacuum hose or just hook it up to the brake booster hose and let it drip in or with a very small stream and run the engine between 1200-1500 rpm to help the Sea Foam vaporize in the intake and prevent the MIL.
Awesome, thank you very much! Just wanted to let you guys know that it did go away already :)

Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts