Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found posts about leaky housing seals, but not one quite like this....

About 1.5 years ago I replaced the entire passenger side drive shaft on my 2001 Outback H4. (This new aftermarket shaft was a rebuilt/refurbished Subaru shaft, according to the paperwork.) At this time, I also replaced the differential housing seal with a new aftermarket one.

It leaked a little bit, not enough to make the level go down significantly, just enough to periodically drip on the hot catalytic converter, which smells horrible.

So, I went back in and replaced this aftermarket seal with a new seal I got from my local Subaru Dealership. It doesn't leak as much, but it does still leak.

Any ideas about how to solve this leak, or why it continues to leak, even after two new seals, including a Subaru one? Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My best guess would be something not mating properly around the seal. I'd defer to an expert, but can you put a liquid gasket sealant on the rear diff?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
You are talking about the output shaft seal? I'm not super familiar with the rear diffs but did the new CV include the output shaft? i.e., is it male (includes output shaft) or female.

If the "new" half shaft includes the output shaft it sounds like the "new" output shaft may not be smooth enough and is not sealing/or wearing out the oil seal prematurely.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leak issue resolved.

To fix, I had a reman cv axle installed, and this one had the "baffle plate" that was missing on the aftermarket axle. Also had a new OEM diff seal installed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
OutMax
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing