Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5, Ice Silver Metallic.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok let me be the first to acknowledge that seat belts save lives and should ALWAYS be worn.

Now that we covered that let me bring up the point of this post. There are times where seat belt chimes are just flat out annoying and will drive me absolutely crazy. When you are driving across a parking lot or some other short jaunt that in reality does not necessitate the need for a seat belts use. With most cars you do not have the option of silencing those chimes or alarms unless you actually click in the seat belt - very annoying. So...........if you want to silence those annoying chimes and rely on your own better judgement on when to buckle up without having to deal with the chimes if you don't then this is what you do.

Open door and sit down in drivers seat. Pull seat belt across your lap like you are ready to buckle up but don't buckle up, turn ignition key to ON position, do NOT start the car. Immediately click and unclimbed the seatbelt into its clip 20 times within 30 seconds time, turn ignition switch to OFF. Now the next time you start the car there will be the initial chimes to remind you to buckle up and that will be all there is, no more annoying constant chimes because you haven't done it yet, this goes for the passenger seat as well although you only have to do this at the drivers seat and it disables the reminder for both at the same time.

If you want you can reverse this modification by repeating the process again and normal function will be resumed.

I take no responsibility for you actions if you choose to do this to your vehicle, are all adults and it is your own personal responsibility to buckle up as well as any supervision of your underage passengers. Remember BUCKLE UP. And be safe but you can now let it be your personal choice instead of being beaten into submission by your cars annoying chimes.

·
Registered
05 Outback 3.0R
8 Posts
Just tried this on my 2005 and it worked for me, thanks. I forgot what the method was, now i know.

·
Registered
2006 Outback Wagon 2.5i 5spd MT Atlantic Blue Pearl
261 Posts
I believe this thread is a duplicate, but still, thank you for sharing. I was very happy to turn off the seat belt chime. In the winter, I'll often start my car as soon as I get in, and let it warm up while I get situated and put on my seat belt. That chime is so annoying.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
no tools or rewiring? cool, i stop my car at the mailbox, stop, get out and then drive another 500 ft into my garage. i also move my car frequently(less than 1000ft intervals) when taking the dog to run.

·
Registered
2006 Outback Wagon 2.5i 5spd MT Atlantic Blue Pearl
261 Posts
Nope. Should be one-and-done. Until you disconnect the battery, that is.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5 GenIII
5 Posts
Hej all,

....what about havin' a look under yer chair and disconnect/unplug the wire comming from that seatbeltclipthing (or how do ya call that in english?) .... I did it, and no more annoying chime ;)

(ps: mine 's a 2009 GenIII)

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Just playing devil's advocate here, but could that wire under the seat have anything to do with air bag or seat belt pre-tensioners used during a collision? My old Volvo had a something like an explosive charge or electrical motor or something even less dramatic that snugged the seat belt against your chest really quickly in case of an accident. Most of those types of safety devices make their way from Volvo and Mercedes into other cars within a few years. Do the more late model Outbacks have this feature? Would disconnecting the wire deactivate this feature because the car would sense no one was sitting in that seat?

My daughter took her head rest off because it "got in the way." I had to explain the danger of whiplash to her to convince her that it was worth the inconvenience. Same sort of thing? I like the idea of turning off the chime with the "clicky" method but letting the car know I still need its safety features. Just not the annoying chime.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5 GenIII
5 Posts
but could that wire under the seat have anything to do with seat belt pre-tensioners used during a collision?
Well.... if ya aint wearing a seatbelt then that pre-tensioner hasn't much use anyway ;)

(I don't wear a seatbelt because I have my reasons, no need for a discussion)

Oh, and a.f.a.i.r. it were only 2 wires directly from that seatbeltclipthing to wherever ... so that'll be only seatbelt-detector and no airbagstuff.
Rofl, and I guess when it's driving I suppose the car will assume someone supposed to be in the driversseat :D

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
When I was shopping for accessories, I found seatbeltalarmstop.com and seatbeltextenderpros.com. Both have a device like a dummy seat belt latch that you plug in to stop the chime. $10. May be an option for those who don't want to re-wire or stop the chime completely.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
and I guess when it's driving I suppose the car will assume someone supposed to be in the driversseat :D
Oh, so now you're going to refute my argument by using logic, eh? Point taken. :)

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5 GenIII
5 Posts
LoL :D

But to be honnest, I have to visit my Sub-dealer one of these days coz the rightside of them bumper-reverse-sensors gone banana's, and I definitely will have a chat with him about seatbelt 'n chime ... coz now I want to know instead of assume ;)

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Limited
57 Posts
I normally always wear my seatbelt, but sometimes driving through a parking or the neighborhood I leave it off and that ding is so annoying. Much more aggressive in subarus than any other car I have ever been. I did the buckling and unbuckling procedure last night. Worked like a charm! No more ding!

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,401 Posts
I have a '13 but haven't tried this yet. I typically reposition my car in the garage, driveway, and street without using my seatbelt and it would be nice to silence the chime. I'm pretty sure the dealer can do it, but I'd like to do it myself.

Does this also affect the automatic parking brake release? If you have the brake engaged, then step on the gas, the brake will automatically release - but only if your seatbelt is fastened. This is also a pain when I have the hillholder turned on and hop in the car to back it out of my sloped driveway. If I don't realize the brake engaged because of the hill holder and I didn't have the seatbelt on, I have to manually release the brake after I wonder why I'm not moving.

·
Registered
2013 Outback
29 Posts
This worked like a charm...thank god:29:

Now...how do you get rid of the chime for the keyfob locking/unlocking of the doors?:D That gets old real fast to:(
...the "old" way of disabling this on the WRX/impreza, etc was also thru the 20 times/seatbelt in & out process, it doesn't work like that on the Outback.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
This worked like a charm...thank god:29:

Now...how do you get rid of the chime for the keyfob locking/unlocking of the doors?:D That gets old real fast to:(
...the "old" way of disabling this on the WRX/impreza, etc was also thru the 20 times/seatbelt in & out process, it doesn't work like that on the Outback.
I don't remember, but it's in the manual. It's way easier than the seat belt thing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts